+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, USB Drives, give access in Technical; I'm really hoping there is a quick and easy answer for this USB drive issue we're having. Some USB drives ...
    Thank Post

USB Drives, give access

I'm really hoping there is a quick and easy answer for this USB drive issue we're having.

Some USB drives have software of some kind requiring students and teachers to have admin rights to use the USB drive. Is there a way around this?

Thank Post
    Prevent autorun.

Otherwise get them to unlock/un-password protect their pens.

Generally most pens have some kinda autorun software which doesnt seem to do much atall.

EDIT:
    Hmm, just seen that you said it prevents them using it... sounds like the drives are password protected. afaik, the process of how they do it is different between devices.
    Last edited by stratisphere; 7th January 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I must learn to read the whole post... I must learn to read the whole post... I must learn to read the whole post...

Thank Post
    They are probably U3 ones. Best thing to do is back up their data and run the U3 uninstaller from their website. Not an easy solution but the best one in the long run.

Thank Post
    We've encountered this issue before. Some (normally cheap and nasty!) USB pen drives require non-standard drivers to load. Since we don't allow student accounts to load new drivers such devices fail to work.

Our work-around was to obtain one of them and now when we build our images part of the lengthy and well-documented process is to plug the USB pen drive in while logged on as admin user.

Once the drivers had been loaded once by an administrative user, the problem goes away. We've also found that despite several different models of USB pen drive cause the same issue, we only needed to load drivers for one.

I don't think the issue lies with U3 devices and turning off autorun (while an excellent reccommendation otherwise, for various reasons) won't solve your problem.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responces. I'll change the autorun anyhow (it wont hurt)> Our current solution has been to backup the data and format the USB drive. It has worked with a few so far.

Funny that this problem exists with the Universal Serial Bus.

Thanks again!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread