+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Internet Explorer 6 Advanced Settings by Group Policy in Technical; I am having problems with group policy creation for some Advanced Settings in IE6. I found this article on the ...
    Thank Post

Internet Explorer 6 Advanced Settings by Group Policy

I am having problems with group policy creation for some Advanced Settings in IE6.

I found this article on the Microsoft website:

How to set advanced settings in Internet Explorer by using Group Policy Objects

I created a new GPO and linked it to Teachers. As in the article, I set the GP to Preference mode for Internet Explorer Maintenance. Then I sorted out the settings. Although you still don't seem to be able to see the settings in the normal settings window for the GPO, they seemed to be set OK.

I logged in as a teacher. Checked that the settings were applied in IE Tools Options Advanced. However, when I opened IE, my home page didn't appear. Closed IE and tried again. Then it did appear. Closed IE again. Opened IE. Then I got a Microsoft update page as the home page. Then the home page disappeared again. I logged out and in again. Same thing. Tried another user group to see if IE was playing up generally, but that was fine. Removed the new GPO and all back to normal.

Have I gone the wrong way about this? Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    What exactly do you wish to tweak in the advanced settings? Sometimes with new profiles it can interfere with the home page, but after this (generally speaking) it's ok.

You may want to checkout the IE7 ADM files. There's a lot more to play with, but of course most are only applicable to IE7.

Thank Post
    I would urge you to upgrade all your machines to IE7 a.s.a.p. as IE6 has security holes large enough for an oil tanker on the high seas to do a U-turn in!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarside View Post
    I would urge you to upgrade all your machines to IE7 a.s.a.p. as IE6 has security holes large enough for an oil tanker on the high seas to do a U-turn in!
    Point taken, but with the workload I currently have it isn't a job that is going to be done that soon. I need to tweak the following settings in Advanced:

HTTP1.1 settings (use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections needs to be on)
    Security (Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed needs to be on)

The HTTP setting may be the crucial one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread