+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Windows Thread, Schools Agreement (again sorry) Server licensing in Technical; Just a quickie What license does the original server need to be allowed to upgrade to a schools agreement license? ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,817
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 91 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    50

    Schools Agreement (again sorry) Server licensing

    Just a quickie

    What license does the original server need to be allowed to upgrade to a schools agreement license?

    I am about to buy a little ML110 which doesn't come with a license so was intending just to get a XP Home oem as usual but read somewhere that the upgrade path needs a server license.

    Shoot me down if I is wrong

    Ta muchly.

  2. #2
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,439
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 489 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    I believe that this only applys the the "Desktop Operating Systems", I've certainly never bought a base license for server products (some VL options for server are upgrades however)

  3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

    Simcfc73 (6th January 2009)

  4. #3

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,174
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    With a Schools Agreement you do not need an existing O/S on servers, only on the Desktop machines.

  5. Thanks to teejay from:

    Simcfc73 (6th January 2009)

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    With a Schools Agreement you do not need an existing O/S on servers, only on the Desktop machines.
    Ummm - not quite! The same applies for servers as for desktops. As long as you have an existing OS on the server, you can upgrade it the same way - but you do have to purchse an OS for it first. You also have to declare the number of servers you want to do this to on your Select Agreement application for this to work, same as desktops...

    This is based on information I have received from our Select Agreement supplier. For absolute chapter and verse, I suggest you email Microsoft!

    7&Y

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    452
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    With a Schools Agreement you do not need an existing O/S on servers, only on the Desktop machines.
    This is correct, all my windows servers are through Schools agreement, you just declare how many servers you have and you get full blown install discs, no need to have an exisiting O/S

  8. #6
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,439
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 489 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    Ummm - not quite! The same applies for servers as for desktops. As long as you have an existing OS on the server, you can upgrade it the same way - but you do have to purchse an OS for it first. You also have to declare the number of servers you want to do this to on your Select Agreement application for this to work, same as desktops...

    This is based on information I have received from our Select Agreement supplier. For absolute chapter and verse, I suggest you email Microsoft!

    7&Y
    Microsofts Product use rights document seems to disagree with you

    It only states the "upgrade only" licenses for Desktop operating systems, this is not mentioned in the server section of the document.

    I think your select agreement supplier is making lots of extra money.

  9. #7
    Nedders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    100
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Microsofts Product use rights document seems to disagree with you

    It only states the "upgrade only" licenses for Desktop operating systems, this is not mentioned in the server section of the document.

    I think your select agreement supplier is making lots of extra money.
    I believe this is absolutely correct (don't know about the supplier but they appear to be misinformed) - when supplying a bulk load of servers to schools in Surrey via the LEA a few years back the Server software was all purchased at the Select Agreement rate with no requirement for an initial O/S. Completely different to purchasing a workstation that does have to have the base O/S license. Safest way is always to check with Microsoft though...
    Last edited by Nedders; 8th January 2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: additional info

  10. #8

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,084
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769
    Agreed, our schools liscence agreement also does not require a base server liscence. You just pick which version of server you need and get the full product.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Technet Plus with Schools Agreement - Possible?
    By sidewinder in forum Windows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17th July 2011, 01:42 AM
  2. Licensing: Select versus Schools Agreement
    By ITWombat in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th June 2009, 02:22 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th January 2009, 08:35 AM
  4. MS Select of Schools agreement
    By KWestos in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th July 2008, 10:14 AM
  5. Microsoft Schools agreement
    By Face-Man in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20th February 2008, 08:49 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •