+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Schools Agreement (again sorry) Server licensing in Technical; Just a quickie What license does the original server need to be allowed to upgrade to a schools agreement license? ...

Thank Post

Schools Agreement (again sorry) Server licensing

Just a quickie

What license does the original server need to be allowed to upgrade to a schools agreement license?

I am about to buy a little ML110 which doesn't come with a license so was intending just to get a XP Home oem as usual but read somewhere that the upgrade path needs a server license.

Shoot me down if I is wrong

Ta muchly.

Thank Post
    I believe that this only applys the the "Desktop Operating Systems", I've certainly never bought a base license for server products (some VL options for server are upgrades however)

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Simcfc73 (6th January 2009)

Thank Post
    With a Schools Agreement you do not need an existing O/S on servers, only on the Desktop machines.

5. Thanks to teejay from:

Simcfc73 (6th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    With a Schools Agreement you do not need an existing O/S on servers, only on the Desktop machines.
    Ummm - not quite! The same applies for servers as for desktops. As long as you have an existing OS on the server, you can upgrade it the same way - but you do have to purchse an OS for it first. You also have to declare the number of servers you want to do this to on your Select Agreement application for this to work, same as desktops...

This is based on information I have received from our Select Agreement supplier. For absolute chapter and verse, I suggest you email Microsoft!

7&Y

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    This is correct, all my windows servers are through Schools agreement, you just declare how many servers you have and you get full blown install discs, no need to have an exisiting O/S

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    Ummm - not quite! The same applies for servers as for desktops. As long as you have an existing OS on the server, you can upgrade it the same way - but you do have to purchse an OS for it first. You also have to declare the number of servers you want to do this to on your Select Agreement application for this to work, same as desktops...

This is based on information I have received from our Select Agreement supplier. For absolute chapter and verse, I suggest you email Microsoft!

7&Y
    Microsofts Product use rights document seems to disagree with you

It only states the "upgrade only" licenses for Desktop operating systems, this is not mentioned in the server section of the document.

I think your select agreement supplier is making lots of extra money.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Microsofts Product use rights document seems to disagree with you

It only states the "upgrade only" licenses for Desktop operating systems, this is not mentioned in the server section of the document.

I think your select agreement supplier is making lots of extra money.
    I believe this is absolutely correct (don't know about the supplier but they appear to be misinformed) - when supplying a bulk load of servers to schools in Surrey via the LEA a few years back the Server software was all purchased at the Select Agreement rate with no requirement for an initial O/S. Completely different to purchasing a workstation that does have to have the base O/S license. Safest way is always to check with Microsoft though...
    Last edited by Nedders; 8th January 2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: additional info

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, our schools liscence agreement also does not require a base server liscence. You just pick which version of server you need and get the full product.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread