+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Corrupt files on Server 2003 in Technical; HI, we have a server running 2003, coming back from xmas break yesterday and it was turned off, this was ...

Thank Post

Corrupt files on Server 2003

HI,
    we have a server running 2003, coming back from xmas break yesterday and it was turned off, this was left on before I left. Anyway looks like the UPS failed(working fine now) during the break, anyway turned server on etc, and running fine, until this morning when people started reporting that certain files will not open as they are corrupt, I thought this was an isolated incident until I looked through the event log and see these errors being reported, The error is followed by the same log error message and it says "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume Data." on each log entry.

I used the chkntfs command to check the drives and did confirm 2 of 3 the drives(C: and E: Data) were dirty?

Also an odd thing is that I can see certain and open files, but other people cannot see them, I presume related to the same problem.

I am unsure on how to proceed now?
    any suggestion or help?

regards

Thank Post
    Depending upon time/facilities you should either run chkdsk and fix the issues (if it can), or bite the bullet, replace the disks and restore from your back up.

Mod note: Might want to move this thread to the Server 2003 forum.

Thank Post
    defo run chkdsk with the /r switch to fix errors you will probably have to run it with the server down tho as it needs to run this test with the disk unmounted (It will ask you to restart if this is needed or run on next restart) See what happens after this has been run and get back to us if its still messing about

Also if the disks are dirty this normally means that a chkdsk will run on next reboot anyway as this is the mark to let windows know there is something wrong with the disks: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160963 read more information
    Last edited by FatBoy; 6th January 2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: more info

Thank Post
    thanks for help and advice, it ran the chkdsk on restart and seems to have sorted it.....will hold my breath though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread