+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Oops.....a little help! in Technical; Originally Posted by Azhibberd Ye that or if you have another pc just throw the hard drive in there copy ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhibberd View Post
    Ye that or if you have another pc just throw the hard drive in there copy the info over reinstall once you have the data off.
    If you have another pc with an anti virus ie AVG or avast or something like that then you could just do an anti virus scan along with spyware using the other computer with the hard drive slaved on that comp

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, i needed an excuse to get a new HDD so i have. Am gonna piggy back my drives and clean them up....just can't decide on an OS lol...

Thank Post
    just can't decide on an OS lol
    hehe what about the one that came with the machine?

Nowt wrong with XP so long as your up-to-date with the windows updates, have a AV product installed and protecting [AVG Free with the Auto Heal ticked - it isnt by default bear in mind], and multiple Anti-Spyware products - as you have discovered - are needed [I recommend Spybot - S&D, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender as its not all bad - just doesnt detect everything].

These are primarily what I'd suggest for home btw, if you are on about a work computer, you should ensure you have adequate proxy filtering to prevent connection to malicious sites, along with decent AV protection that can detect any spyware slipping through the net (as it were)

With the above, especially the immunising of Spybot & the protection of SpywareBlaster, its kept me safe in my browsing needs.

There are all in one products like Spyware Doctor that I'm told are quite good, but i havent really needed to use them myself.

Unfortunately, none of it is 100% so using caution is the best defense hehe

Regards
    Nath.
    Last edited by tarquel; 2nd January 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol, thanks..

Sorry, I should've explained myself...

The machine im using im planning on making into a "server" for us to store our media on.

Because i've done some MS training i can get hold of most OS's legally so i've got a bit too much choice lol..

At the moment im thinking maybe 2K3...

Thank Post
    hehe soz... was just doing my usual spyware rant

Is it only going to be used to store files on? If so, have you considered a NAS system to do the task?

[apologises if you've already discussed this... its sort of a flying stop by EG before i go out]

Although this wouldnt be enough, I just bought a NAS for home and its ideal for a small workgroup if thats all you have at your establishment.

Buffalo Technology - Products - LinkStation Mini™

I only went for this one for the space saving, features, performance, and because I've used the Buffalo Terastations in my working career and they've done a neat job for me so far.

Otherwise I'd suggest Server 2003 unless you are planning to setup something to test it out first, in which case 2008 might be worth a shot, and if its only to be used as storage, keep users from logging on to it directly.

My rule of thumb is the more people with logon access to a server, the more chances of disaster can happen

Any more questions, fire away or send me a PM and grab me on messenger / EG's jabber server

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12