+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Print manager plus in Technical; What do you all set your printer credit limitations too? (for both Black and white, and colour) Also do you ...
    Thank Post

Print manager plus

What do you all set your printer credit limitations too? (for both Black and white, and colour)

Also do you set page limitations and file size limitations(and what to)?

And finally has anyone ever come accross problems with it only charging users for either black and white or colour (as in no matter what you print it will only charge for one or the other on everything)

Thank Post

my settings

i work in a primary cluster,
    we reset each pupil to 60 p each week, and charge 15 for colour, 10 for b/w prints, so far we have had no problems with credit.

the only problem that printmanager plus has, is when you use printers attached to it that have none-pcl drivers, for some reason a particular user will suddenly print tens of thousands of pages ( according to the data base ) although this never happens actually, when using the none pcl printer.
    This problem is not only with printmanager plus, i believe i am , in a few months time getting forced into a similar software 'solution' made by the photocopier company called ' equitraq express ', i wonder if anyone had any knowledge of this app?

Thank Post
    60p and 15/10p charges?! wow

We're getting people complaining about having £2.50 a month with 1p for black and white and 7p for colour!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Rather than type it all out again, I'll refer you this thread:
    Print Manager software

Where I explain how we use Print Manger... we got nowhere with reducing toner bills until we charges a realistic amount per page, gave print allowances based on actual needs and added a few tough rules rules restricting what could be printed by name

Other people's page costs on this thread...
    Print Manager Plus questions

...amongst others - search for PMP and you'll find more

PS I won't pretend it wasn't painful at the time. There is one absolute rule.

Do not attempt to clamp down on print quotas without total 100% support from your SMT

attempting without is doomed (ask witch)

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

mrbios (22nd December 2008)

Thank Post
    Ah cheers elsiegee, I did a brief search but it was a bit of a monday morning half assed half asleep search

Some very helpful stuff there

Thank Post
    I start the pupils balances at about £2 then add 30p per week with a cost of 10p per colour pages. B/W is free though I limit the size of any single print job to 40 pages (to prevent "accidents"). I also restrict the printing of certian web pages (i.e. google) and a few pritners cannot print out direct from the internet.

I also block the printing of unsaved Word documents as a tentative method of stopping printing too much garbage or "Naked granny pictures".

This works quite well. Our Art and DT departments have their own printers which are not charged though the head's of department get a print out every term of printer usage to make sure that the printers are only being used for Art and DT.

Works quite well. The only problems I have are people printing out photos/posters for school events or when some one prints mulitple copies of their coursework becase there was a mistake on 1 page

Thank Post
    We keep getting told that our printing restrictions are too high but then we switch it off for a couple of days and collect up the justification!!!

Our PMP is set to give students £1 and staff £5. Students reset to £1 every week whilst staff reset to £5 each day. There are a few exceptions but we wont worry about those here.
    Staff have limits to 100 pages per job, students are 7 pages per job. Students have filename restrictions (basically anything not saved)

Colour printing costs 15p and b&w 2p, although I think that may have changed recently. Only one printer has a memory restriction on the size of job you can print (member of staff tried to print 600mb+ of photos??)

Hopefully we will be rolling out the EUIT soon as its getting a pain where the system doesnt inform people they are out of credit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaccyNet View Post
    Students have filename restrictions (basically anything not saved)
    We are running PMP where i work as well very useful, just woundered what rules do you have so that the file has to be saved first? Something i would like to put in place

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhibberd View Post
    We are running PMP where i work as well very useful, just woundered what rules do you have so that the file has to be saved first? Something i would like to put in place

Cheers
    If you follow the link in my earlier post, you'll see what I've done with PMP...

Name restrictions currently in place (that I can remember without being in school!):
    Document (unsaved Word)
    Doc
    Temp (for the unimaginative)
    Full page (Windows Photo printing wizard - full page fax and full page photo)
    Publication (unsavedPublisher)
    http (Internet! They have to copy and paste)

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Azhibberd (4th January 2009)

Thank Post
    @Azhibberd - Our are close to what elsiegee40 said. We also have variations on the norm though as I noticed that PMP wasnt blocking files such as Document1 if you only had Document in the banned list.

Thank Post
    Cheers for the help on that one I'll have a look on that when i get in on Monday morning.

Cheers

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=BaccyNet;269096I noticed that PMP wasnt blocking files such as Document1 if you only had Document in the banned list.[/QUOTE]

This is not what I have found... It seems to look for a phrase as part of the jobname, which is why http works. However, the best thing you can do is tune according to the job names you see going through PMP... then you'll pick up the default job names for other software that you have... I can't, for the life of me , remember what the default is for Textease documents, but I blocked that too! -

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread