+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Removable Disk Backup in Technical; Hi - Our tape system has seen better days and I need to replace it by year end. Our reseller ...

Thank Post

Removable Disk Backup

Hi -

Our tape system has seen better days and I need to replace it by year end. Our reseller recommended an LTO drive from HP and a removable disk backup system from Idealstor.

Has anyone hear backed up to a system like this before? (Teralyte Removable Disk Backup). It look like the capacity/speed is what I need but I am not familiar with them. We are an HP shop but it appears that they don't make something like this.

Any feedback or potential gotcha's are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lib

Thank Post
    How much data is invloved?

USB Sticks are getting very cheap, 32 gigs will be £20 next year. Otherwise think about USB HD's they can be very cheap, fast, and the 2.5" ones are fairly tough as they are Laptop HD's.

Thank Post
    Wow! Thanks for the fast response.

We have about 800GB of data and it is growing. The system we are looking at has a native capacity of 1.5TB per drive bay. Uses SATA2 disks.

I have tried the USB route. The only issue with USB is that transfer rates our pretty slow for our amount of data and when using numerous USB drives Windows would assign random drive letters which caused us to have to tweak things when we put a new one in.

We want a solution that we can schedule our backup jobs and only have to deal with our media when we need to put a new one in or send something offsite.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Your probably going to need a Disk to Disk to tape system if you are shifting a lot of data. The backups would go to some kind of Disk device overnight where the transfer speed will be very good, then during the day you can transfer this to a tape autoloader.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Your probably going to need a Disk to Disk to tape system if you are shifting a lot of data. The backups would go to some kind of Disk device overnight where the transfer speed will be very good, then during the day you can transfer this to a tape autoloader.
    I agree this seems the best way, if your a HP shop then use something like a HP D2D100 Backup System , and you can choose a model which includes the appropriate sized LTO tape drive so that you can have the best of both worlds.

The TeraLyte looks good, but your relying on carrying around cheaper SATA disks which are not really designed to be mobile devices. Also, you are putting your backups on a device which is not HP, and although this is not a problem in terms of branding, it may be if your not sure of the warranty "reliability" of the Teralyte.

Personally i would stick with a tried and tested HP LTO solution for the offsite backups.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberto29 View Post
    Any feedback or potential gotcha's are appreciated.
    I have a RAID-1 box at home - a simple external (eSATA connected) box with a couple of mirrored harddrives in. The attached computer just sees a standard disk, anything written to it gets written to both disks. You can yank one disk out whilst in use (I've tried - mine kept playing video as I removed a disk!) and swap in another. Mine was £150 or so from eBay, although that particular seller is no longer around. You have to pay separately for disks, of course - just get 3 or 4 1TB disks and keep swapping them around. That way you have a backup that's always available (it's plugged right in to a computer, ready for you to start restoring files) and you get an identicle copy to put in a fireproof safe somewhere. My only problem is the fan noise is a bit much for a home system, but that's not much of a consideration for work.

--
    David Hicks

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

sammy (16th December 2008)

Thank Post
    I do like that idea David, simple and cheap, and exactly what i used to do for taking complete copies of server RAID sets.....I like.

looks like the techies are awake and working well into the night

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am in a similar position, I have a total server capacity of 3.4 TB about 50% is in use but the capacity of the backup tapes a mixture of LTO, AIT4, and DLT and now nearly full. The backup and verify is taking me nearly 12+ hours on some of the servers.

I have been looking at some Tandberg data devices such as this
    http://www.tandbergdata.com/emea/en/...ageloader-lto/

The problem I have is that the fastest devices needs local Scsi or FC-AL connections which means having some kind of hardware between the device and the 8 servers.
    Its something I am looking into at the moment so I will post more info as I find it.

My other problem is that the school would prefer a full offsite backup daily which the most problamatic part of the job.

Last edited by soapyfish; 16th December 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    I am in a similar position, I have a total server capacity of 3.4 TB about 50% is in use but the capacity of the backup tapes a mixture of LTO, AIT4, and DLT and now nearly full. The backup and verify is taking me nearly 12+ hours on some of the servers.

I have been looking at some Tandberg data devices such as this
    Tandberg Data: StorageLoader LTO
    Hi,

if your looking at the autoloader route, then you should take a peek at these, HP MSL2024 1 LTO-4 Ultr 1760 SAS Library, native they will backup 19.2Tb using upto 24 LTO tapes in the autoloader, giving you about 288Gb Per hour native or 576Gb per hour compressed. I have a few clients with these devices and they are reliable and very good.

The Tandberg is also a very good device, and i have some clients who have chosen to go that route, my only quibble or word of advice there normally is that the warranty centres for tandberg are in Europe which means that under a warranty recall scenario you have to wait for tape drives to be shipped back and forth, not the following day response you get with HP. I only advise this becuase in the past i have been in that warranty scenario...

11. Thanks to sammy from:

soapyfish (16th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats worth knowing thanks. do you have any idears about the 8 servers to 1 device problem ?

Thank Post
    sorry im not sure what your issue is, are you backing up 8 servers over the LAN to 1 device, or are you thinking of using a Fiber based tape autoloader device which would mean having a fiber card in each server and then fiber switch ?

can you please clarify ?

Thank Post
    Might not be what you looking for, but can I recommend online backup??

We are currently trialling software from Gigasoft. They will do loads of different packages for you!! They take all of your data away on a portable drive, then set your servers to backup, and they do an incremental backup whenever you like!!

Website is: http://www.gigasoftdatabackup.com/

I was against online backup, but this is fantastic!
    Last edited by button_ripple; 16th December 2008 at 10:38 PM.

15. Thanks to button_ripple from:

mac_shinobi (10th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would be needing to upload from 8 servers to this one device but the tandberg device connects locally via scsi. It would need 8GB connections to keep up with them or some kind of fibre connectivity maybe ? I am not very up on fibre connections really :-(

I did look at online storage breifly but so far I have not sound a company that will take the ammounts of data I am talking about but I did not try Gigasoft

Also thats a GREAT avatar ! button_ripple
    Last edited by soapyfish; 16th December 2008 at 10:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    I would be needing to upload from 8 servers to this one device but the tandberg device connects locally via scsi. It would need 8GB connections to keep up with them or some kind of fibre connectivity maybe ? I am not very up on fibre connections really :-(
    Normally the way to do it is to connect the autoloader to one server using either a SAS/SCSI or Fiber connection. Then use remote agents (on SYmanctec Backup Exec ) on all the other servers to backup across the network. To negate any possible implications of network congestion you can install a cheap additional Gigabit NIC into each of the 8 servers and dedicate all the backup traffic across that NIC, therefore allowing you to backup during the daytime if need be. That has proven to be a fast and reliable method for a few of my clients.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like it might work I will have a look in to that !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast