+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Removable Disk Backup in Technical; Originally Posted by soapyfish I would be needing to upload from 8 servers to this one device but the tandberg ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    I would be needing to upload from 8 servers to this one device but the tandberg device connects locally via scsi. It would need 8GB connections to keep up with them or some kind of fibre connectivity maybe?
    You might be thinking about the wrong way - do you actually need to shift your entire server contents accross your network every day? You could just copy the files / data that have changed to your central backup disk, which will probably be a few tens of GB at the most in a day. You can then take copies from that central backup at your leisure - again, tape-based backup software will let you do differential backups instead of needing you to copy 8TB at a time to tapes.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have considered that but the school has before been stung by incemental backups where the previous tapes where corrupted and vast ammounts of data was lost. thats the main reason they are looking for full offsite daily backup. its a political / technical problem really

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    I agree this seems the best way, if your a HP shop then use something like a HP D2D100 Backup System , and you can choose a model which includes the appropriate sized LTO tape drive so that you can have the best of both worlds.

The TeraLyte looks good, but your relying on carrying around cheaper SATA disks which are not really designed to be mobile devices. Also, you are putting your backups on a device which is not HP, and although this is not a problem in terms of branding, it may be if your not sure of the warranty "reliability" of the Teralyte.

Personally i would stick with a tried and tested HP LTO solution for the offsite backups.
    Thanks for the feedback and good suggestions. We saw a web demo of the Teralyte yesterday and I feel that is the direction we are leaning. The problem with using disk and tape is we have to now buy 2 different systems to basically backup the same data. This removable SATA system basically does both and gives us added capacity to boot.

We looked into the loader option but because we found we had to replace our tapes here and there, the actual cost of disk is about the same.

Thanks again for the help!

Lib

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    That sounds like it might work I will have a look in to that !
    The only problem with streaming direct to tape via a backup media server attached to an autloader, is that your either having to multiplex all these backup streams from several servers onto a single tape using a single tape drive or your sending each backup job to a seperate tape...and the loader then has to load tapes sequentially, both options take up considerable time. Having an autloader with two tape drives could alleviate this bottleneck but you are talking about considerable expense, especially if you go FC. Also, it sounds to me as if your not at the FC stage yet.

Much better when backing up several severs is to look to stream to disk, and then offload or cache directly to tape for your offsites. Most commercial backup apps give you the option of using disk as the backup media. And the disk in question can be as simple as a server with a RAID5 local disks.

How you then get that to tape, or whether you go full or incremental is up to you to decide based on what the manual says and on what other organisations are doing with small D2D2T implementations.....I seriously don't like the idea of these removable disk options. They just look so naff. And i don't see the advantage of replacing tape with removable disk for the offsite option.....surely the advantage in disk is have a random access device protected by RAID fault tolerance that you can write to and restore from with a few clicks in no time at all......tape then becomes the thing you never need to touch or worry about unless a catastrophe befalls your data at the primary site. What possible advantage have you got with disk as the offsite media, surely the advantage is in having a storage array or storage server as the disk in D2D.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Arise dead thread.

Soapyfish - did you find a solution in the end? I'm attempting to do the same. full backups (mainly databases) from 8 servers.

Thank Post
    I'm also looking at buying the Tandberg StorageLoader LTO-4. Does anyone currently use this hardware and can confirm that its a good piece of kit?

ta.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12