+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Question about reinstalling Windows in Technical; I'd like to help a friend of mine recover Windows XP Home Edition on his machine since he doesn't have ...

Thank Post

Question about reinstalling Windows

I'd like to help a friend of mine recover Windows XP Home Edition on his machine since he doesn't have the discs to do so. I have a purchased copy of Windows XP Home Edition and was wondering if I can let him use my disc with him using the Windows XP Home Edition product key that's sticked on the back of his pc.

I ask because my guy saw Ubuntu on my machine and wanted to try it out since he saw me doing doing some tricks with the Compiz desktop effects to make it look a bit flashy. I showed him the various distros Linux has and he felt comfortable with Kubuntu since it's interface is kind of looks like Windows.

The thing is tho that he hasn't gotten the hang of it entirely and complains about not understanding the terminal and permission problems he comes across with files, and wants XP back since he didn't partition the installment to have both OSs.

Another reason I ask is because I know Sony is, how do I say?..... picky, about their machines. My guy told me his reinstallment process consisted of 3 VAIO recovery CDs that apparently carried the installment of Windows XP within them. And so I'm now I'm wondering if the key on the back of his machine is only workable for a Sony based installment of Windows(using Sony's distributed recovery disc, nothing else[they can be strict like that]), or if it can be used with any cd of the same Windows OS.

Can it work?
    Last edited by scalywag66; 15th December 2008 at 07:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Chances are probably not,

Retail XP home and OEM XP home which came with his machine have different codes

Thank Post
    If he's lost the Vaio CDs he can go to Sony Vaio > support and there is the option to get a replacement set of CDs sent to him. Vaio : Support

There's also lots of drivers available for download.

I have never installed XP Home, but I have seen people have problems with some codes not working, they were trying to use a code stuck to a Dell, on a CD that came from HP... it was doomed to failure... whether the code will work or not ... you'll have to try it to find out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pagelad View Post
    Chances are probably not,

Retail XP home and OEM XP home which came with his machine have different codes
    The codes are different but it's worth a try - I think it would be legal (it's not the CD which entitles you to the software but the sticker so that's OK)

Microsoft seem to often use 1 disc image for different purposes and what gets installed is determined by the code (eg I think there's only 1 disc now for Vista even though there are shedloads of different versions effectively on the disc)

I'd say make sure you backup the data and then give it a go but before you do, there isn't by any chance a hidden recovery partition on the disc? If so, you might be able to boot from that and reinstall.

Thank Post
    If it's a Sony machine they will have a royalty OEM sticker on the back, which won't work with your retail disks. It is BIOS-locked to only work with Sony disks, so you need to get hold of them.

There is indeed only 1 Vista disk (though I don't know if it also used for OEM stuff), but XP has 3.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Any xp home oem disk will work, but a retail home won't.

I used a random Dell reinstall cd I had lying about to reinstall xp onto my vaio, and then just used the serial on my sticker to activate it.

Might be worth using nlite to slipstream the sony drivers from their website as well to whatever disk you use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Any xp home oem disk will work, but a retail home won't.

I used a random Dell reinstall cd I had lying about to reinstall xp onto my vaio, and then just used the serial on my sticker to activate it.
    For real!!!???

I have a Dell Windows reinstall disc for Windows XP Home Edition hanging around here along with other various recovery/repair/reinstall disc from other pc manufacturers.

I'm going to try the one from Dell and see if that'll work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scalywag66 View Post
    For real!!!???

I have a Dell Windows reinstall disc for Windows XP Home Edition hanging around here along with other various recovery/repair/reinstall disc from other pc manufacturers.

I'm going to try the one from Dell and see if that'll work.
    Hmm you could get lucky but I certainly wouldnt say that you can use any OEM disc for it..the codes often do seem to be tied to that companies discs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For seamless activation/installation, yes. But if you use a dell, for example, disk, it will install OK but not activate.

You then use your existing serial number to activate it over the internet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread