+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, office communications server 2007 in Technical; Originally Posted by torledo AWS ??? I'm guessing its As We Speak, could easily be wrong though....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    AWS ???
    I'm guessing its As We Speak, could easily be wrong though.

Thank Post
    I thought I'd drag up this thread again because I've been having a think about the viability of using OCS.

Am I right in thinking that I could use something like Grandstream GXW-4024 Analog FXS Gateway to interface analogue extensions with OCS and then I could use handsets like Polycom CX700 OCS IP Phone and Polycom CX200 OCS IP Phone to avoid the need for a dedicated IP PBX?

Or can OCS replace an IP PBX too? (Allowing for any old SIP handset to be connected to it?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, as far as I've seen OCS won't work as a IP PBX, you'll need a bridge or gateway of some sort to tie it to your exisiting, or connect phones to peoples computers (which is what we're doing, I've already chucked my desk phone, and the extension rings OCS)

also, sorry I didn't check back at this thread, but it was indeed As We Speak I meant...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Although those Polycom phones include a client, so no reason why they should need anything else.

ALthough standalone you'll need to log into the phone everytime to get it working - so maybe the USB version would be smarter?

Thank Post
    @Domino: So to clarify, the incoming lines come into your PBX which is in turn connected to OCS (how?) and then some magical logic goes on to decide whether an extension is real or OCS?

This seems overly complicated... wouldn't it have been easier to make OCS an IP PBX in its own right?

In theory though, the Polycom endpoints (which connect via USB using the users' PCs ot ethernet for a standalone endpoint) could be used to create a system if some form of gateway could be used to get the ISDN lines into OCS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah, in theory what you're proposing would work.

There's a SIP connection between the OCS mediation server and the PBX on our system, and all users have an OCS extension (internal only) as well as a phone one at the moment, those going full OCS will just have one.

It may seem complicated, but thats cause we've 5 offices with SIP connections and different (alcatel, cisco, etc) PBX's in each. It was by far easier to just plug OCS into the exisiting setup than try and change everything - especially as I don't get 6 weeks of downtime to play with

Another thing you might wanna consider - the recommended setup requires at least 3 physical servers (not virtual, they only support virtualisation on second versions of each role) - one for OCS control, one for mediation and one for edge.

You'll also need a licence for the client per pc, a cal per user, and to get the full enterprise voice, a enterprise CAL (which is additive). It made sense for us, cause we spent about 2 grand per month on conferencing per office, but now OCS handles it all at no charge to us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, Ric? do you use exchange?

Thank Post
    I'm currently re-thinking how we license and OCS CALs (Enterprise ones) can be bundled into the subscription licensing so it would be a minimal chanrge on top and it may save money when replacing the PBX. Again, I stopped using Exchange due to licensing costs but that may change again for the same reason.

From the further reading that I've done, it seems that I may be able to use Quintum BX Tenor BX408 4 port BRI VoIP MultiPath Switch to connect in my ISDN lines and Quintum AX Tenor AXG2400 24 FXS port VoIP Station Gateway to connect in the analogue extensions. I would then just use Polycom endpoints. Those particular Quintum units arent specifically mentioned on teh MS website but the DX model is (which is basically the same but PRI rather than BRI/analogue).

From the little pictures at Download details: Integrating Telephony with Office Communications Server 2007 and 2007 R2 I would then just need a mediation server and a OCS server. We aren't heavy telephony users so the load should be acceptable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The calendar, address book and free/busy stuff just doesn't work without exchange, outlook as well for preference.

If you're putting all this in, you may as well put an edge in too, to get CWA, which is really quite cool. It also gets you Livemeeting if its any use.

Thank Post
    I'm currently looking at OCS as well. We're just looking at a new IP PBX and while we're at it I thought I may as well see about integrating it into OCS and our new Exchange 2007 setup.

I'm currently leaning towards a Avaya IP PBX, which I've been assured by a couple of people integrates "seamlessly" into OCS. Does anyone have any experience of using IP PBX's with OCS and have any recomendations?

Since we're upgrading from an ancient BT Rhapsody analogue system we're starting from scratch with our phone system so anything goes really

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft are presenting a session on OCS 2007 R2 which is happening in Birmingham, West Midlands soon so watch this space

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie1985 View Post
    Microsoft are presenting a session on OCS 2007 R2 which is happening in Birmingham, West Midlands soon so watch this space
    Too far for me to travel at the moment unfortunately

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I'm currently leaning towards a Avaya IP PBX, which I've been assured by a couple of people integrates "seamlessly" into OCS. Does anyone have any experience of using IP PBX's with OCS and have any recomendations?
    We have an Avaya IP Office at the moment and it's horrible to work with.

I admit that we are stuck on firmware from February 2007 because we have an IP403DT but from what I can tell there isn't a lot different with the new ones on the management side.

Avaya also seem to be the most expensive telephony company in the world and every last little bit is licensed separately. If I had this sort of money to play with I'd go for the Mitel system with Sun Ray integration plus change!!!

From the docs I've just been reading, any SIP-capable PBX will work to a certain extent with OCS with only a few extras being gained from a certified system.

14. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Soulfish (25th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    We have an Avaya IP Office at the moment and it's horrible to work with.

I admit that we are stuck on firmware from February 2007 because we have an IP403DT but from what I can tell there isn't a lot different with the new ones on the management side.

Avaya also seem to be the most expensive telephony company in the world and every last little bit is licensed separately. If I had this sort of money to play with I'd go for the Mitel system with Sun Ray integration plus change!!!

From the docs I've just been reading, any SIP-capable PBX will work to a certain extent with OCS with only a few extras being gained from a certified system.
    I have been half tempted to build our own Asterisk based PBX, but decided it's probably better to go down the all-in-one route since should I leave they'll still want to use the phone system and there's no guarantee that the next person will be able to support a Linux custom built Asterisk pbx system

Very interested in the Mitel stuff since it's looking like we'll be rolling out some Sun Ray gear in the next 6-9 months. Just need to find a reseller and get some pricing to compare

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Ric are you feeling ok? You seem to be doing a lot of MS Loving here, OCS, Exchange, CALs, Server 2008 will be needed, MS Outlook etc etc its very un-you, next you will be saying Print Manager Plus instead of Pykota, no linux servers, Hyper-V instead of your Citrix stuff.......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast