+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Folder redirection hurts my head.. in Technical; [Please save any mention of shell folder redirection for another thread] It's possible some of this is editing GPOs on ...

Thank Post

Folder redirection hurts my head..

[Please save any mention of shell folder redirection for another thread]

It's possible some of this is editing GPOs on 2008. Go to a GPO to folder redirect Documents (in this case based on group) and pick the action "Create a folder for each user under the root path". For \\<server>\somepath\ it ends up looking like this:

\\<server>\somepath\%USERNAME%\Documents

If instead you use "Redirect to the following location" and you type the entire path (note this now contains "My"):

\\<server>\somepath\%USERNAME%\My Documents

Then exit and go back to it again, it still has the path you entered but has automagically changed the action to "Create a folder for each user under the root path". And with that action displayed on the redirect no one will ever figure out how you got that "\My Documents" at the end rather than it's usual "\Documents".

Figuring out how the "My" got there just took me an irritatingly long time. I now hate the GUI for this policy area and next time I think I'll just go and edit the fdeploy.ini directly.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 14th December 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do it on a case by case basis and have the folders synchronise. IE having my documents redirecting to \\adminsrv\homes\%Username% regardless of the PC / laptop they are on. Makes life much easier (especially seeing as teaching staff is restricted to 3GB of space on the server each). IF they require anything more its a written request.

This is much more efficient as the staff realise they have limited space and only make use of what they need. Also it helps when backing up as they have copies themselves aswell as on the server, so if one goes down, as soon as its back up, it synchronises the files again.

I believe it too be better that way, but hey, everyone has there own preference!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread