+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Bloody Acrobat. HELP!! in Technical; Sigh. We have a build we're using with Acrobat 9. We have lots of teachers who, quite successfully can use ...
    Thank Post

Bloody Acrobat. HELP!!

Sigh.

We have a build we're using with Acrobat 9. We have lots of teachers who, quite successfully can use their PC to view our online ducument library (PDFs).

We have 1 member of staff with 2 machines, identical hardware, identical build - who can't.

He can open the PDFs inside IE6, then they vanish. Then he gets "memory allocation" errors with it. If he opens the PDFs standalone, he gets a different corruption/failure message.

I've reinstalled the OS. No Go. I've uninstalled and reinstalled acrobat - no go. I've uninstalled it again and installed Acrobat 7 with writer - same issue, but no error messages.

Adobe forums identify a big in 7, resolved in 7.0.5. That won't apply.

Also found a thread about reader 9 not playing nice with roaming profiles but being fine as local admin - that article describes the issue we've got PERFECTLY.

However, it's still not working...this is day 3 of the great PDF annoyance. I'm *this* close to rolling a build with NO damn acrobat in it..trying V8.11 as a last resort before I hit it with Foxit instead.

What versions do you all use?

Thank Post
    Using V9 lite here with roaming profiles, seems to work OK under limited users accounts. Is it possible there's a quirk about how those particular users are set up - permissions etc that would cause it to bork? Have you tried copying those teachers accounts to a new profile and testing with that?

Thank Post

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Sigh.

We have a build we're using with Acrobat 9. We have lots of teachers who, quite successfully can use their PC to view our online ducument library (PDFs).

We have 1 member of staff with 2 machines, identical hardware, identical build - who can't.

He can open the PDFs inside IE6, then they vanish. Then he gets "memory allocation" errors with it. If he opens the PDFs standalone, he gets a different corruption/failure message.

I've reinstalled the OS. No Go. I've uninstalled and reinstalled acrobat - no go. I've uninstalled it again and installed Acrobat 7 with writer - same issue, but no error messages.

Adobe forums identify a big in 7, resolved in 7.0.5. That won't apply.

Also found a thread about reader 9 not playing nice with roaming profiles but being fine as local admin - that article describes the issue we've got PERFECTLY.

However, it's still not working...this is day 3 of the great PDF annoyance. I'm *this* close to rolling a build with NO damn acrobat in it..trying V8.11 as a last resort before I hit it with Foxit instead.

What versions do you all use?
    I use 9 too, rolled via a GPO... and I've got the same trouble too it seems to break occasionally, and deleting the user's roaming profile (and the local copy thereof) seems to be the only resolution at the moment

Thank Post

Hope this works

It has happened to us and it was because we had updated acrobat and in alot of users profiles the fact that two versions were listed confused it. Anyway to get round it we removed any folder containing adobe stuff from %that users profile%\My Settings\Application Data\Adobe

hope that helps

5. Thanks to riskyburden from:

BatchFile (10th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Using 9 here, but I gave up trying to deploy with gpo as it just didn't work consistantly, so it's part of the base image now. I'm also not redirecting app data which *will* break 9.

Thank Post
    hmm...I did ponder the profile...sod it, I'll reset his PW and have a poke about in it..

It's REALLY annoying, and it's TYPICAL that it would be this user, the SINGLE biggest drain on our time since they started here...

Thank Post
    Have a look at Foxit Reader,

Thank Post
    Oh I LIKE Foxit, BUT...

it has a glitch too.

Some users print, select say..20 pages...

It proceeds to print hundreds, without asking. I had to pull it because of that.

Seemed to happen mostly during doublesided printing to our 4250dtn.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use 8.12 as 9 stupidly does not support roaming app data folders and from what I've read they have no plans to fix it either

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    It has happened to us and it was because we had updated acrobat and in alot of users profiles the fact that two versions were listed confused it. Anyway to get round it we removed any folder containing adobe stuff from %that users profile%\My Settings\Application Data\Adobe

hope that helps
    going to add

rd /q /s c:\users\%username%\My Settings\Application Data\Adobe

to the end of the login script to see if that works.... will post the results here.

I guess the $64,000 question... how does a company the size of Adobe produce software that doesn't work properly on a standard network with standard users and standard roaming profiles?! It's not like we're talking about some tiny cottage industry producing educational software is it?

Thank Post
    I've rolled one of the afflicted back to 8.11, changed his password, logged in and...so far, so good...

We'll see shortly..

Bloody Abode. Sums up my opinion of them..

Thank Post
    I had a problem with v8... it didn't print... so I rolled it back to v7 across the site. Odd that one

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    We're on V7 across the site... If it starts to become a problem I'll change it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I've rolled one of the afflicted back to 8.11, changed his password, logged in and...so far, so good...

We'll see shortly..

Bloody Abode. Sums up my opinion of them..
    You do know that there is a serious vulnerability in this version of Reader ??

Agreed with your opinion - I hate them :-)

Thank Post
    hah! Typical.

9 is broken, 8 is flawed. Joy..

On the other hand, no complaints from user so far, at least not on the PDF score...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast