+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Read-Only desktop message in Technical; I have a read only desktop folder on my server which is applied to restricted user accounts and works well ...
    Thank Post

Read-Only desktop message

I have a read only desktop folder on my server which is applied to restricted user accounts and works well although when logging off the user gets a message saying that the folder cannot be updated which is fine but don't want this to be displayed. Any ideas whether there's a GPO setting to mask this message?

Thank Post

Cool

Do you use offline files? If so turn the feature off as it just slows the world down!

Dan

Thank Post
    No i don't but don't see how this would be affecting this anyway. It's not a performance issue i'm having...I want the desktop to be restricted but just don't want this message displayed!!

Thank Post
    Not clear what you are doing or trying to achieve. Can you please explain further? You have a folder on a server? Are you using MS TS? Are you using folder redirection?

Thank Post
    GPO setting:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\ Do Not Automatically make redirected folders avialable offline

Thank Post
    Ok. I have desktop redirection setup in a GPO to a read-only folder on the server. This stops members of this GPO from being able to save work on the desktop, however when logging off, a message is displayed saying that the desktop folder on the server is not accessible to update which is exactly what should be happening but don't want this message to be displayed as requires user interaction to move past this.

This doesn't have anything to do with MS Offline files or are you saying that this setting will stop this message from appearing regardless?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it a mandatory profile you're using then? Our pupils have a mandatory profile which has a desktop they can't alter.

You won't be able to have a locked desktop if you are not using mandatory profiles as far as i know - as it will always try to sync them on log out.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    Ok. I have desktop redirection setup in a GPO to a read-only folder on the server. This stops members of this GPO from being able to save work on the desktop, however when logging off, a message is displayed saying that the desktop folder on the server is not accessible to update which is exactly what should be happening but don't want this message to be displayed as requires user interaction to move past this.
    You are sure that you have got the folder redirection correct? If you don't have HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT \CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ExcludeProfileDirs
    set to contain "Desktop" then you will get WIndows default "roaming profile" behaviour.

9. Thanks to mpe from:

randle (10th December 2008)

Thank Post

This doesn't have anything to do with MS Offline files or are you saying that this setting will stop this message from appearing regardless?
    I'm pretty sure that this will switch off your message. Read the Description for the GP setting.

All redirected shell folders, such as My Documents, Desktop, Start Menu, and Application Data, are available offline by default. This setting allows you to change this behavior so that redirected shell folders are not automatically available for offline use. However, users can still choose to make files and folders available offline themselves.

HTH

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tosh74 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this will switch off your message. Read the Description for the GP setting.

All redirected shell folders, such as My Documents, Desktop, Start Menu, and Application Data, are available offline by default. This setting allows you to change this behavior so that redirected shell folders are not automatically available for offline use. However, users can still choose to make files and folders available offline themselves.
    Unless you also turn off either "offline files" or user control of it. Not that to turn it off you have to explicitally select "disable".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    Unless you also turn off either "offline files" or user control of it. Not that to turn it off you have to explicitally select "disable".
    Eh..... aye

Thank Post
    Remove caching on the share as well. Right click>Properties>Share Tab>Cache Button

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok. I have desktop redirection setup in a GPO to a read-only folder on the server. This stops members of this GPO from being able to save work on the desktop,
    Can I ask why you're trying to do this???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpe View Post
    You are sure that you have got the folder redirection correct? If you don't have HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT \CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ExcludeProfileDirs
    set to contain "Desktop" then you will get WIndows default "roaming profile" behaviour.

Result. I hadn't included the desktop folder to the "Exclude directories in roaming profile" setting in the GPO. Have added this and now doesn't display this message.

I'm trying to do this because this is a generic user and wanted to get staff out of the habit of just dumping work on the desktop rather than just making this users profile local. That wouldn't learn them nothing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread