+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Local Administrator in Technical; Hi all, Could someone please advise, I'm trying to find a way to add a group called Pupils to be ...

Thank Post

Local Administrator

Hi all,

Could someone please advise, I'm trying to find a way to add a group called Pupils to be local administrators. I don't think you do this in a script as the pupil may not have the priviledges to changes themselves to be local administrators!!?

I'd prefer a bulk 'quick and easy' way if possible (I must be getting lazy tehehe).

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Why on earth would you want pupils as local admins?

Thank Post
    Disclaimer: this is a really bad idea.

Anywho, you want the net command: Net accounts / Net user / Net group

Thank Post
    If you are using Group Policy you can do it easily enough...

Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Restricted Groups

Right click, add the group you wish to join to another group (IE: Pupils)

Then in the Member of box, click Add, then type Administrators (Do NOT search for it, because it won't find one )

5. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Pashers (5th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    why the hell do you want to add pupils as Local Admin's Really bad idea

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Why on earth would you want pupils as local admins?
    A wild guess would be some broken piece of software. IMHO it would probably be better to fix the software. Including looking at permissions on files/registry keys it is trying to use.
    Giving users local admin privs has lots of unwanted side effects.

Thank Post

Thumbs down

I'd REALLY worry about possibilities of local admins escalating privileges to become more powerful. You should be able to achieve much the same effect by allow full access to the local file system and registry, but without the same dangers elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Thanks that worked brilliantly! I remember reading something about Restricted Groups somewhere but got scared lol.

As for why I'm adding them as local administrators, I'm not 100% sure myself (I'm just the technician). However, I believe it makes life easy for us for installations, updates etc.

Also for myself I've made a program in C++ to monitor the websites they go onto. Banning any sites it thinks/calculates should be banned (bit like surf control). Using a point value white list/black list set of words etc.

Thanks again!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashers View Post
    Thanks that worked brilliantly! I remember reading something about Restricted Groups somewhere but got scared lol.

As for why I'm adding them as local administrators, I'm not 100% sure myself (I'm just the technician). However, I believe it makes life easy for us for installations, updates etc.

Also for myself I've made a program in C++ to monitor the websites they go onto. Banning any sites it thinks/calculates should be banned (bit like surf control). Using a point value white list/black list set of words etc.

Thanks again!!
    it also makes life very very easy for them to break the machines be it intentional or unintentional. I cannot think of a single school i've known that has students as admins, heck most wont even allow teachers to be admins.

Thank Post
    Ye-es...but the downs will by far outweigh the ups. I've done it before, under instruction, and went along with it for a bit to illustrate the problems. We had to re-image multiple machines after a few days, and strangely I've never had the same request again

Just remember, your users are now just as powerful as you, but without your expertise or experience or more importantly discretion. They will experiment, and they will break things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    For goodness sake, don't just do something because it makes life easy or because someone says so... question the reasons.

It is shear madness to let anyone have administrative rights. Even I don't on my main logon. I use a special one if I need them.

There are very, very few reasons for teachers to need them and none whatsoever for pupils.

You are opening yourself and the school up for a lot of trouble.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    it also makes life very very easy for them to break the machines be it intentional or unintentional. I cannot think of a single school i've known that has students as admins, heck most wont even allow teachers to be admins.
    If they did want to break the computers intentionally they can still easily make themselves local administrators with the free software out there these days. But considering the amound of fuss you lot are giving I'll deffo talk to the manager lol.

One issue we have also had is the office 2007 package. If the pupils are not local administrators, then it keeps wanting to install it each time they run word! Any fixes/ideas on fixing this? (I know this is off topic)

Thank Post
    OFF2000: Windows Installer Appears Every Time a Program Is Started

Have you tried a student as a Power User? it's still not the best solution, however, it's considerably more restricted than an administrator.

Software Restrictions won't apply to any of your Pupils either if you are using them with Local Administrators as exceptions.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 5th December 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: SRP

15. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Pashers (5th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Why has the request been made to make them local Admins? Is it by you for making your life easier when insalling/running software for them? Is there a NM who you work for who has authorised this? Or has the request come from a teacher who has purchased some educational software they want set up on their machines?

You have to think of the long term implications of making changes like this. And as for pupils making changes using free software available...they shouldn't be able to do this with a secure network. That is the whole point of different groups of people having different levels of access.

I would question whoever asked you to make this request, especially if it is you who is going to be running round correcting all the changes they make. There are always alternatives to achieve the outcome desired.

Thank Post
    If they did want to break the computers intentionally they can still easily make themselves local administrators with the free software out there these days.
    Such as?

One issue we have also had is the office 2007 package. If the pupils are not local administrators, then it keeps wanting to install it each time they run word! Any fixes/ideas on fixing this? (I know this is off topic)
    Yes, rebuild your default profile after installing Office. (copy the default profile over the local administrator's, log in as it, install Office, reboot, copy administrator's profile back to default, reset user's profiles so they pick it up.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast