Windows Thread, Synchronization, "system cannot find the file specified" admin assigned docs broken. in Technical; I'm at wits end here and have exhausted google I feel like. So I have synchronization set through group policy. ...
I'm at wits end here and have exhausted google I feel like. So I have synchronization set through group policy. A group policy redirects a users "my documents" to their home folder (set through active directory user profile). This bit works fine. There's also another group policy that is set to administratively assign "\\%HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%", synch at logon and logoff, and work offline upon disconnect.
The issue I'm having is that the administratively assigned my documents being available offline isn't happening consistently, the offline files aren't administratively assigned and further if I force it to be available offline I get "unable to make X available offline on X. The system cannot find the file specified."
Using gpresult and rsop.msc I have verified that the computer is getting the proper gpos and settings applied to it but they don't seem to be working. My domain admin account works on any computer I try to log into and my offline files take. If I try it with new staff members none of theirs work. One of the users we've been having this problem with has been able to get her files to synch on my coworkers computer only, but not the other six computers & laptops I've tried. I have tried putting a user account outside of our OU structure and re-creating the GPOs with no luck, even using "%HOMESHARE%" as the admin assigned offline files.
Any ideas? I've come to the end of the Internet I feel like, haha. Very frustrated with this issue.
Been a while but I think it refusing to accept the UNC path (which is obviously a server share) as its marked offline, hence the "unable to make X available offline on X. The system cannot find the file specified.". Think this only happens with redirections, bit of a quirk
Try turning offline files of with a GPO reboot the PC and then try what you are doing.
I might be a bit off Its been literally a few years since I ironed these problems out, but my setup has worked fine since and never bothered with offline synch stuff after.
The problem I get is the odd random failed redirected of 'my documents'
This is what I tried and it worked.
If its a folder that is not syncing... Drag and drop or copy a folder that is already synced (blue double arrows) into the folder that is not syncing then right click on non-sync folder and select "Make Available Offline".
Hopefully this will make the folder sync for you like it did for me.