Mandatory Roaming Profiles, Temp Internet Files and XStandard Pro License
We have a pretty big problem. I'll try and explain as best as i can...
We support a CLC with it's own staff and members.
We also support a High School with it's own staff and students.
We have roughly 4 types of users.
CLC Staff - Personal, Open, Roaming profiles.
CLC Users - One Mandatory, Roaming Profile for all.
School Staff - One Mandatory, Roaming Profile for all.
School Students - One Mandatory, Roaming Profile for all.
The profiles are all stored on the server.
Both the school and the CLC have access to a local authority "Learning Platform" accessed by the whole of the authority. This includes a feature of writing blogs and uploading material. This uses 'XStandard' editing tools.
The problem is that the full set of editing tools ("Pro") aren't downloaded when accessing the page.
CLC Staff can get them as it's an open profile for each person. If i open any of the other profiles, it works for them too.
So if the profile is closed, only a 'lite' version is downloaded.
**This is the weird bit. The first mandatory profile to access the page on that station DOES get the pro version!**
So, User1 logs onto PC1 with MandatoryProfile and gets the Pro version. They log off / reboot. User2 logs onto PC1 with the same MandatoryProfile and can only get the lite version!!
This happens whether the profiles are deleted at logoff/shutdown or not.
The license that is downloaded is called license.txt and seems to be stored in Temporary Internet Files
It was stored in TIF for me, a technician.
I've tried copying the TIF to the profile with no luck as they don't copy as a file would.
I've tried creating the mandatory profiles after the license.txt file is downloaded but that doesn't not stay in the profile for some reason.
I have also tried using open profiles with 'prevent roaming profile changes' set in a GPO, but that made it read only and still only got the lite version thought the profile was open.
I have been going round and around for a long time now trying sort this out with no luck.
What did happen is, when i logged onto PC60, with user60
who i added to domain admins and opened a copy of the profile.
Did what i had to do, logged off, closed the profile. assigned new profile to user 59 and logged on to PC60 again. It worked.
Logged back in with user60 and it didn't. It only worked because it was open...
Well, looking at the profile left in documents in settings from the admin version of user60, within local settings\temp internet files, the license is in there. However, when logging off, it didn't save local settings to the server copy of the profile.
Yeah, the staff have open roaming profiles so when they log on they'd probably get a new license.
Will get in touch with the Learning Platform admin which doesn't tend to be any help.
I've tried adding the license manually but you can't copy directly from TIF as it puts a  at the end of any file, then if you rename it, it certainly doesn't work.
Adding from a login script might work i guess, but i'll need to find out if the license works like that and if you can copy into a local settings folder, with it being 'hidden' etc. Also it's something i've not done before.
Give up on your futile attempts, I have spent the last six months trying to get XStandard working on mandatory profiles, it just does not play. The only way it will work for users is if you use local or roaming profiles. But if anyone does finds an answer I would be grateful.
1. Open the .man file in regedit, import it into the hive
2. Create a Folder on a server somewhere, with everyone permissions for read/write
3. Find the reference to Tempory Internet Files in the profile Under Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Shell Folders etc etc, and move Temp Internet Files to that location. I.e. \\servername\share\temp etc etc.
Don't forget to unload the hive. Load the profile up with an account, and everything Temp Internet will be written to that folder, and remain there. May be worth just deleting the content every now and again.
It was over a year ago that I was frustratingly trying to get this to work, tried most of what has already been mentioned apart from altering the profile to direct the temp files to a shared location, I will give it a go and see what happens but I'm not holding my breath.