+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Offensive Word censoring/removal on emails in Technical; Has anyone managed to get Exchanges Content filtering tools to work on Internal mail? We have 2007 here and the ...

Thank Post
    Has anyone managed to get Exchanges Content filtering tools to work on Internal mail?

We have 2007 here and the content filtering tools, but i think it only applies the policies to mail coming in from an external source?

Thank Post
    I use Gfi MailSecurity on Exchange 2007. It allows me to do content filtering and attachment filtering, as well as a load of other stuff, such as AV. I bought it mainly for the first 2 features on internal email though. It's AD integrated, so I can target groups with different levels of filtering.
    It's not cheap....

Thank Post
    We use Microsoft Forefront for Microsoft Exchange server and this supports both 2003 and 2007.

Not only does it virus scan but can also keyword scan and then mask the words / bounce the mail / forward it to a monitoring mailbox.

I did set this up earlier in the year - anything that contained 5 or more inappropriate words was forwarded to a "badmail" mailbox so it could be reviewed - I had to get rid of this within a few weeks as some days there would be in excess of 500 e-mails that would need reviewing / actioning.

Anywho Forefront is available under the select agreement and you can download it via the MVLS website - when it asks for the activation code, you need to put in your select agreement number and then away you go!

You can also use forefront to disclaimer the mail - you can pick whether it only marks external or all mail etc - a disclaimers always useful!

If you want to take the forefront route and need any help just give me a shout!

Ed

4. Thanks to eddyc from:

mrmontymick (9th July 2009)

Thank Post
    An offensive word filter won't necessarily pick up a threat to beat them up behind the bikesheds though, will it? Or things like "the reason your Dad died of cancer was because of you" (yes, that happened here).

Thank Post
    This could be Clbuttic mistake.

Thank Post
    We use sophos pure message, and touch wood, had no issues whatsoever. You can add words to the offensive list. Easy to set up and manage.

Thank Post
    You can manage key word filters using Exchange 2007 transport rules, you donít need any addition software to do this. If you would like examples please let me know.

Alternatively you can always outsource your email to a hosted solution like School Email that will allow you to manage blocked words and has bully and key word filtering built in.

Mark

Thank Post
    @maf_001 i would be very interested in more info (if you could spare a moment) on how you can use exchange 2007 with no additional sotware to filter bad words etc.

thanks in advance
    uraken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Uraken View Post
    @maf_001 i would be very interested in more info (if you could spare a moment) on how you can use exchange 2007 with no additional sotware to filter bad words etc.

thanks in advance
    uraken
    Hi Uraken,

To filter emails based on key workds using exchange 2007, you need to do the following steps:

Create and populate a group for all your students. in this example i am going to use a group called "Pupils"

They is 2 ways you can create the new rules i will show you the EMC way incase you are not familiar with powershell.

Open EMC -> Organzational Config -> Hub Transport -> Transport Rules

Select New Transport Rule

Give your rule a name

Conditions, check -> "Sent to a member of distribution Group" and then choose your pupils group. Then check -> "when the Subject field or the body of the message contains text patterns" then enter the key words you wish to block.

Actions -> you can either check "silently drop the message" or i prefer "Send bounce message to sender with enhance status code" The choice is yours but i never like to drop messages with out knowing why, also you can customise the NDR if you choose send bounce back.

Exceptions -> by default you do not need to select any but you may find you would like an exception.

The only warnig i would give with this method is that if you filter a word like "cum" then it would filter the word "cucumber" so be very carful when adding words. Once the rule has been created depending on your enviroment it should take no more than 5mins to apply.

This is a basic way of filting key words using Transport Rules and the Exchange Managemanet Console.

Hope this helps,

Mark

11. Thanks to maf_001 from:

Gatt (16th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maf_001 View Post
    The only warnig i would give with this method is that if you filter a word like "cum" then it would filter the word "cucumber" so be very carful when adding words
    To get around the above you can create 2 almost identical rules:
    In the first rule use 'when the Subject field or the body of the messages contains text patterns' and in here avoid putting words like the one above.
    In the second rule use 'when the Subject field or the body of the message contains specific words' and put all those words that can be part of legitimate words.

This way you can block as much as innapropriate content as possible.

Thank Post

thanks

Hi maf_001 et al sorry didn't thank you sooner had some bad news so been offline for a while i will try and implemnet your suggestions and come back to you if i get any dramas agian thanks for your help with this it might help the student get their email back.

Thank Post
    I've used MailEssentials for a client before now. Works really nicely and from what I remember it has the word thing in it. You can also rule set it so staff can send what they want (so the internal messages about bullying can get through but student to student abuse can't etc) plus it has a great way of adding on company disclaimers and all that jazz too. It's really quite a great little package.

Anti-spam filter for Exchange Server and Lotus Notes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12