+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Internet History. in Technical; I read some threads regarding the exporting, or keeping of internet history on AD clients. Those topics were aimed at ...
    Thank Post

Internet History.

I read some threads regarding the exporting, or keeping of internet history on AD clients. Those topics were aimed at someone looking for a smoothwall/censornet/ipcop type solution.

We already have a cache from our LEA, but it doesn't (or didn't rather) say who accessed what.

Is there a program or script or anything I can use to either export the data via shutdown (or logoff) script to a network share or keep some kind of hidden file in the users homedir (preferred).

Now on the threads I found via the search option the reply was basically "The children will notice if they power off the machine the logoff script won't take effect and they will work this out".

Well, thankfully this is a primary school and I only want to keep them to see if a particular student has done something after a teacher has reported it to me. (example, a child found an open gambling site that our LEA had not blocked and apparntly tried to sign up with another childs name).

I also had a quick look before lunch, but I could not find for the life of me where the IE history is saved. Usually it is in "local settings", but that doesn't exist in their profile folders.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I would love to get smoothwall into an old machine, but unfortunately we don't have any space again until work is completed (our DC is in the ICT Suite under a desk near the printer!!)
    Also LDAP is a [behind the] of [red door] to set up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "local settings" will be a hidden folder - make sure you've turned on show hidden folders in explorer.

Also, if you're looking at a server copy of the profile then it won't be there - by default the "local settings" folder isn't copied back to the server.

3. Thanks to srochford from:

Daleus (1st December 2008)

Thank Post
    Hi

Theres a script here

Web Logging

that does what you're after

5. 2 Thanks to SpuffMonkey:

Daleus (1st December 2008), zag (1st December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    "local settings" will be a hidden folder - make sure you've turned on show hidden folders in explorer.

Also, if you're looking at a server copy of the profile then it won't be there - by default the "local settings" folder isn't copied back to the server.
    I thought this might be the case!

but what a result!!
    Thanks SpuffMonkey that is just what I was looking for!

Consider yourself an IT hero for today! My Google and forum-fu was weak.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh we have the same thing, cachepilot is rubbish for tracking individual accounts so we run the above script on logoff and just delete the history after a certain time. It works well and gives a nice report.

EDIT: it would be nice if someone could edit that script to remove the file:/// references as they have nothing to do with website history and would make the log alot smaller.
    Last edited by zag; 1st December 2008 at 04:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Just been testing on my test domain, This is perfect, it could do with cleaning up, but even now it is great.

Also, Yeah we have the crappilot too, it used to be poor at distinguishing between users, but its even worse now that the LEA changed the passwords so if we want anything from it we have to phone them and wait 2 weeks.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleus View Post
    Also, Yeah we have the crappilot too, it used to be poor at distinguishing between users, but its even worse now that the LEA changed the passwords so if we want anything from it we have to phone them and wait 2 weeks.
    That's ridiculous, why would you let the council have so much control over your censoring hardware?

Ours was council provided as well with our internet connectivity but we simply told them we wanted to control of it and they gave us the root pass.

Thank Post
    the actual cachepilot does not provide any censoring, its at LEA level, its just a caching proxy server, I'd use my own but if we don't use the crap pilot we break our contract which means they won't fix our (totally seperate) fibre internet if it breaks.

I rang them up when the password stopped working and they pretty much told me I shouldn't be on there and I was doing something wrong.

Too bad. (btw, snowday much?)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread