+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Custom dumping ground in Technical; Hi folks, So my Iomega NAS is filling up very quickyl and its now got the point where i can ...

Thank Post

Custom dumping ground

Hi folks,

So my Iomega NAS is filling up very quickyl and its now got the point where i can only manage a weeks worth of backups of student and staff data. I have been told i can build my own server for backing upto for studnet and staff data only. So i want a case that has lots of 3.5" bays so i can put in as many 1TB drives as i can in a RAID 5 system running under FreeNAS.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Just bought a Dell T105 server for this use. Only has 2 3.5' bays but has a few 5.25 bays spare so can always get an adaptor.

Bought from here http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product2.asp?sku=200&deptId=69

After alot of thought and testing FreeNAS, open filer and others i have decided to go with Server 2003 for ease of use. Robocopy doing a direct mirror or all the user files, shadow copy performing the "incremental" backups so to speak, then for DCs and SQL databases etc just the usual method (NTbackup etc).
    With VSS i will end up with the most effecient use of diskspace without having to go into complicated SymLink type linux backups. Restores will be much quicker and easier too.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 26th November 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloum View Post
    So i want a case that has lots of 3.5" bays so i can put in as many 1TB drives as i can in a RAID 5 system running under FreeNAS
    Our similar system is housed in an Antec 900 case - 9 X 5.25" slots at the front, but with two 3-capacity removable drive cages with integral fans that take 3.5" harddrives drives. Adjustable fans, blue glowing lights galore, damn thing sounds like a small plane taking off in operation but will certainly keep your harddrives nice and cool. Just checking on eBay, the latest version of this case now seems to be the Antec 1200 - search for "Antec" on eBay to get an idea of prices, seems to be around 150, bear in mind you'll want a decent (1KW?) power supply to power a bunch of harddrives.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread