+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, DRM and wma in Technical; Ive got some music downloaded in WMA and its protected by digital rights management. I need to move it to ...

Thank Post

DRM and wma

Ive got some music downloaded in WMA and its protected by digital rights management.

I need to move it to another comp (of mine) using a pendrive.

How can i transfer (better still disable) the licence?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts

Re: DRM and wma

You can't disable it. The whole point of drm is to stop you sharing files thus there is no easy way to transfer the licence to another computer either as that would be a circumvention of what DRM is there to acheive.

The only thing you can do is try to get a new licence from where you got the music in the first place.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

There is no method to crack or break the DRM code, however there are legal ways to bypass it. Tunebite gets around the problem by making an analogue recording whilst playing the WMA DRM protected file in Windows Media Player 10 in real time. Once the track has finished playing, a copy in MP3 format is produced instantly.

Thank Post

Actually, it depends on what version of WMA DRM is in use on the file... There was a tool doing the rounds a while ago that would happily strip DRM from WMA/WMV providing you hadn't upgraded to WMP10. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go into anymore specifics than that, but it is googleable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts

Yes there was a method but it was damn complicated unless I missed an easy to use gui tool to do the same.

If you still have access to the old machine it's on and not just a copy of the file tunebite looks like a way to do it.

If you don't have access to the old machine I think you're stuffed.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Removing the DRM on the file is a criminal offence btw. Also telling people how to circumvent the copy protects is equally criminal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

@Geoff - Below is all the legal information regarding Tunebite:

Important Legal Information about Copyright Law and Using Tunebite

Intended Usage
    Tunebite does not copy or defeat copy-protection measures. It creates unprotected, private-use copies of copy-protected music and video files. Its sole purpose is to allow users to play media they have legally purchased on devices they own that do not support copy-protection formats. Tunebite is offered exclusively for sale to private users and is intended for private use only.

Installation and Use
    Purchasing a Tunebite license entitles the user to install and use the software on his or her own PC. Usage of Tunebite obligates the user to comply with international copyright law. The use and/or misuse of Tunebite is at your own risk.

Information about Apple Play Fair and Digital Rights Management (DRM)
    Online music platforms in the Internet offer music tracks for purchase and download in various copy-protected formats like Apple Play Fair, Microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) and Sony Atrac. The various formats are designed to help prevent piracy and misuse through application of a wide variety of usage limitations.

Limitation of Use
    Music or video files recorded with Tunebite may not be shared with third parties or made available for third-party access. The exchange, giving or sale of Tunebite recordings is forbidden by international copyright law and can lead to criminal prosecution by the copyright holder. The user assumes all liability for personal or third-party misuse of Tunebite or recordings made with Tunebite. RapidSolution Software AG expressly disclaims any and all liabilities for the misuse of Tunebite or recordings created with Tunebite.

Copyright Law and the Legal Consequences of Misuse
    Any user who installs Tunebite on his or her PC, records music tracks and/or video clips and transfers or makes these available to other individuals no matter in which form or for what purposemakes himself liable and punishable under international copyright law and is subject to criminal prosecution by the injured parties. Individuals that have received files that have been recorded with Tunebite are likewise punishable under these same laws.
    My personal view is that it doesn't break the DRM, but simply makes an unprotected recording (which for personal use is legal), however the distribution of MP3 files is illegal as they are copyrighted material. The trouble is not all music players support the same formats or DRM, unlike a CD from a store which will work in any CD player.

Thank Post

If we're going to dot the i and cross the ts, I believe DRM circumvention in the UK is a civil, not criminal offence? I don't think we've gone quite as far as the US of DMCA yet...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It might not break the DRM but it is still bypassing it. Bypassing any method of copy protection be it Fairplay, WMA, Macrovision or whatever is illegal under the EU Copy Directive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That advice is valid in America. There is no such concept of fair use here (which is what that advice is relying on). For example, it's illegal in this country to copy a CD to tape to play in your car. Where as Americans have this action protected by fair use (although the DMCA seriously erodes this privileged). The provisions for 'Fair Dealing' in UK copyright law are *NOT* the same by a long shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Dealing

The 2003 amendments to the copyright act make it illegal to circumvent copy protection schemes. It also makes it illegal to discuss circumventing copy protection schemes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrig...United_Kingdom
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPO_Copyright_Treaty
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_Copyright_Directive

Practically though, the worst that will happen is that Edugeek.net would get a Cease and Desist letter/email and the thread would have to be removed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch
    If we're going to dot the i and cross the ts, I believe DRM circumvention in the UK is a civil, not criminal offence? I don't think we've gone quite as far as the US of DMCA yet...
    Criminal offence. Up to 10 years in jail and an unlimited fine. Per offence.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We all might as well go back to portable CD players and CDs if it's this much trouble moving a file from one computer to another One more reason that DRM is a Bad Thing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I entirely agree. DRM is fundamentally flawed as a concept. Because it's technically flawed the media companies prop it up with some laws they've bought. Really what they are attempting to do is rein in some disruptive technology (the Internet) so they can preserve their traditional business models.

Of course history tells us this never works. There's plenty of Industrial revolution era examples. (Steam Engine, Rail road, Power Loom, etc). I'll leave you with a quote:

"You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense." - Napoleon

Subsequently Napoleon lost 4 ships to an experimental British ironclad at the battle of the nile. We all know what happened next.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Absolutely Geoff. I read a very long article on the subject a while ago (written nearly 2 years ago): Microsoft Research DRM talk which highlights some of the pitfalls that the industries seem to be ignoring and/or pretend don't exist.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch
    Criminal offence. Up to 10 years in jail and an unlimited fine. Per offence.
    IANAL, but you're quoting from the top end of the scale... The penalties for large scale / commercial infringement are in a different ball park from the penalty for stripping the DRM from files you bought from the iTunes store to play on your normal MP3 player. Either way, everytime this comes it it just serves to remind me why I don't buy anything in DRM encumbered WMA/V or from iTunes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information