+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Terminal Server in Technical; I've set up Terminal Server on a bog standard computer with Win 2003 Standard Ed on it. All I did ...

Thank Post

Terminal Server

I've set up Terminal Server on a bog standard computer with Win 2003 Standard Ed on it. All I did on it was that I set it up to be a TS and nothing else. My issue is I'm not able to remote on to this server from another workstation in the domain. I believe remote desktop is enabled and I have enlisted myself in to the Remote Desktop Users security group but to no avail.

Usually once RD is enabled you should be able to remote onto it. When TS is configured does this alter the server in some way that there is another method to connect to it remotely?

Is there something I'm missing out?

Thank Post

Issues

Hi Chuckster,

assuming your workstation is in the same domain...and the ip address settings are correct....and the local domain policy on the 2003 server allows local logon you should have no issues logging in.

Is the server connected to the domain or is it a standalone workgroup server?

what error messages are you getting, they will allow you to diagnose the area to check quickly.

is it that the logon window comes up but the local policy doesnt allow interactive logon...?

or is it that you rdp client will not even touch the server interface and so the client is timing out ?

if you fire across some more info im sure between us we can all work this out....i have seen TS be fininicky sometimes but its normally quite a puppy to work with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Hi Chuckster,

assuming your workstation is in the same domain...and the ip address settings are correct....and the local domain policy on the 2003 server allows local logon you should have no issues logging in.

Is the server connected to the domain or is it a standalone workgroup server?

what error messages are you getting, they will allow you to diagnose the area to check quickly.

is it that the logon window comes up but the local policy doesnt allow interactive logon...?

or is it that you rdp client will not even touch the server interface and so the client is timing out ?

if you fire across some more info im sure between us we can all work this out....i have seen TS be fininicky sometimes but its normally quite a puppy to work with.
    Hi Sammy,

I have given the Server a static IP and it's connected on the domain and isn't a standalone. In a GPO I have put in a list of users that'll require using it. This is found in Computer configuration --> Windows Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment --> Allow log on through Terminal Services

When I launch remote desktop from a workstation and try connecting to the server, I get the following error message:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer
    The connection was lost due to a network error. Try connecting again...

If it was timing out, which it isn't, then that would have meant remote desktop isn't enabled.

Thank Post

Terminal

hmmmm

I have seen this tricky little one before, cant remmeber how i solved it though.

Have you checked that the remote desktop port is open on the client firewall ?

also, have you tried pinging the server ip address, make sure that your getting a reply

also, have you tried connecting to the server ip address as opposed to the hostname of the server.

Thank Post
    I am able to ping the server using its IP address and also its name. Firewall is disabled and the remote desktop port is open, i.e. ticked.

I've still not managed to get anywhere with this.

Thank Post

Terminal

Hi Chuckster,

scratching my head trying to remmeber this one....have you checked that the Terminal Services service is running on the client computer ? also which OS is on the client desktop ?

Thank Post
    Try connecting to the console; open the run command and type:
    Code:
    mstsc -v server_name -console

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by altecsole View Post
    Try connecting to the console; open the run command and type:
    Code:
    mstsc -v server_name -console
    do you not mean
    Code:
    mstsc /console /v <servername>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    do you not mean
    Code:
    mstsc /console /v <servername>
    They both do the same thing; so technically yes

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I appreciate it. The problem was that one of the students altered the IP address on a printer which happened to be the same IP for the terminal server. By changing the IP address to what it was before on the printer, I was soon able to remote on to the server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread