+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Profile Reset in Technical; Ok Im probably being special here but any help would be great. Ive read a few bits about cleaning cached ...
    Thank Post

Profile Reset

Ok Im probably being special here but any help would be great. Ive read a few bits about cleaning cached profiles from workstations but havent found a cure for this.

Basically all the students profiles are of a reasonable size between 2-5mb but the students that have been at school longest tend to get much slower logon times.

Now originally when I came to work here not much locking downm was done but I have added to that over time, this means that some children still have different themes / pointers etc but cant change them back becuase I have disbled the ability to change etc.

Now I assumed if I went onto the server and deleted the individuals names from the profile folder it would start them a fresh.

This has worked and logons are faster but for the accounts I have tested the proxy settings to reach out of school have been lost.

If anyone can heklp me with this it would be great as I dont understand why they would lose the internet settings when they are still part of the same ou/groups and would assume it just recreates the profile.

Cheers in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    There are numerous things that make roaming profiles grow huge:

1. Home folder not redirected. Use redirected folders wherever possible so that they are not part of the profile.

2. a build up of cookies: this thread gives a logoff script you can use to keep them clear
    clear old cookies on log off (or log on)

3. A build up in the recycling bin. Don't have one or use the script in this thread.
    Empty recycle bin after n days

4. Users saving things to their desktop. Lock the desktop so they can't!

All of the above can be cured by using mandatory profiles with redirected folders. See this thread: Creating a small mandatory profile

Also take a look at the EduGeek wiki: http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.ph...de_to_Profiles
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 21st November 2008 at 10:36 AM.

Thank Post
    cheers for the quick reply, thing is the profiles arent huge only a couple of megs, and we have all the prevous things setup e.g, home folder redirect, cant save to desktop, recyle bin empties itself etc

The problem really is that I want to be able to reset students profiles without losing proxy settings, as some of the students have settings e.g mouse cursors which are stuck on silly things like dinosours as I have blocked the ability to be able to change them now.

So really I am just after a simple way of deleting a user then adding a user but saving all there files etc, so ideally just a profile reset.

Thank Post
    We kind of have a small problem here too. They are really restricted on what they can do in the windows environment and i have just been working on mandatory profiles, and think i have found the problem. When kids log on, and browse to google, they click sign in but when they click on Igoogle, they get the internet filter blocked screen up, as Igoogle can contain games. So when a kid logs back onto that computer, google is still blocked. The only way round this is to create mandatory profiles otherwise the local profile that gets created takes over. The proxy settings are set in GP. I had considered a scirpt that deletes the local profile from that machine when they log off, but then that slows the log off process and also the log on process, so have come to the conclusion that mandatory profiles may be the only way forward... the only thing is i have got to add this too all kids...

Thank Post
    Sorry yep we have roaming profiles

Thing is in the gp the proxy settings are already set, so what to do then? I dont seem to have changed anthing just merely deleted the profile folder so would assume it would make a brand new one with all the original settings still intact?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Run Delprof on the client machines. Any local pupils profile will be deleted and they will pull down the settings form the server. Obvisously this will loose any data stored locally, but that shouldn't matter if they have their documents saved on the network.

Thank Post
    thanks for the reply again

But what I want is to RESET the SERVER COPY so that all the original settings go back to square one, e.g a new user.Their has to be a simple way of doing this that I am missing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I think what you'll need to do is ensure that your proxy setting are set up on the default profile that they use if their own profile does not exist.

Thank Post
    Set the proxy by GPO then you won't have to worry about it on the profile?

Thank Post
    MWAH you are a star.....

Works lovely all I need now is to figure out a quick way of updating all defualt profiles witrhout visiting each workstation.

Any clues?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread