+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, How would you run DNS on small networks in Technical; In the old days, I used to have static IPs on my Win98 computers with county DNS servers (212.219.82.4 and ...

Thank Post

How would you run DNS on small networks

In the old days, I used to have static IPs on my Win98 computers with county DNS servers (212.219.82.4 and 212.219.83.4 here in CLEO).

When broadband came along and we had to change IP's - I found a nifty DHCP program that ran on Win98 "server" and used that to give out IPs but I stayed with the county DNS servers as I didn't have a DNS server.

As I 've switch schools onto W2k3 servers - I set DHCP on the server to just hand out the server IP for DNS.

However, I noticed that when the server went down, everyone lost T'internet so I modified my approach and get the DHCP sever to hand out primary DNS as the server ip (i.e 10.87.13.2) and 212.219.82.4 as the 2nd DNS.

Now its been put to me that this isn't a good arrangement so my question is

Is it OK to do this or is it so bad I need to go back to previous settings and lose internet when server goes down (usually a mains issue) or is there someother cheap method not involving a backup server to get around this issue

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I am surprised your domain works at all with them DNS settings. If you clients start selecting the secondary DNS then you will have trouble on your domain. I can chat later on skype if you want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    is there someother cheap method not involving a backup server to get around this issue
    Use one of those old Windows 98 machines as a Linux server to run DNS (and whatever else you want it to) for you. I think even some of the ultra-small, runs-in-64MB-of-RAM distributions include a DNS server.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I noticed that when the server went down ..... (usually a mains issue)
    A UPS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bob_ View Post
    A UPS?
    When he says "mains issue" he means someone will have unplugged it

Thank Post
    I am surprised your domain works at all with them DNS settings.
    Well - they're not domain clients - they just use the w2k3 server as a file/dhcp server.

I believe (but can offer no evidence ) that local computer name resolution is probably still taking place under MS workgroup master browser rules and that DNS lookup is only being used for web site name forwarding to the county DNS servers so using county DNS server as secondary shouldn't be a problem . (But i'd love an expert to tell me that I'm wrong )

As I said, in the old days (last year ) i used to run with both county DNS servers as 1st and 2nd and no local one at all.

Since I seem to be the only person on the planet that runs w2k3 servers in a non-domain configuration who could I turn to for help

(Although people running Linux servers with MS clients would also be in a similiar position but no-one seems to do that either )

Use one of those old Windows 98 machines as a Linux server to run DNS (and whatever else you want it to) for you. I think even some of the ultra-small, runs-in-64MB-of-RAM distributions include a DNS server.
    Would it be OK to just run this as a completely separate DNS server (with the main DHCP just handing out its ip address as a secondary DNS instead of the county one) or would I have to get into telling the main DNS server about its little pal down the corridor (which would hurt my brain too much )

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect you're being told that your settings are wrong because people assume that you are running AD; in that case, you absolutely mustn't use external DNS for your clients.

It's easy to install the DNS role on your 2003 server; you then configure that with the county DNS as its forwarder (or you can configure root hints or even both).

You should get faster resolution if you bring the DNS in house but it's not going to be massively faster.

You can also set up a Linux box (or Windows anything box) running BIND or similar DNS (BIND is easy, free and very well supported)

If you want to find out how name resolution is happening on your network then install Wireshark on a machine and then try and ping a local machine and (eg) EduGeek.net - you'll see the name resolution taking place and then the ICMP traffic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread