+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, How much disk space? in Technical; Hi all, I am just curious about something. I'm assuming that most of you rund disk quotas to limit the ...

Thank Post

How much disk space?

Hi all,
    I am just curious about something. I'm assuming that most of you rund disk quotas to limit the amount of disk space taken up by staff and pupils. How much of an allowance do you give staff and pupils? Also what are you using to back it up?

Thank Post
    HI

Its not about what other people allocate its about that size your disk space is for the user area. For example find out what size your disk space is.

Find out how many students and adults you have.

Now remove say 25% from the size of the drive this is free space so you can defrag and hold other things.

Now have a look at the average size of the teachers space they use and set the amount of space you want to allocate to them.

Calculate the amount of space you have used up for teachers and add a bit for new teachers that start.

Remove the teachers quote from the amount of space you are going to use.

Add a few to the number of students you have for new people and just in case you get a large intake.

Divide the remaining space you have left by the number of students you have just calculated.

I think thats how I did mine and it appears to work ok.

I allocated 2 gig to teachers.

Good Luck

Richard

Thank Post
    On our old server we used windows standard quota service. Giving 100mb to students, then the rest to Staff and just monitored on a regular basis.

Staff and Students have approx 350gb of hard-drive space to share between them, so once its gone its gone.

Does anyone know of any good free quota software?

Thank Post
    Now roughly speaking I did that. However I was wondering what space limits people actually had. The reason being that a few people are butting up against those limits and I wanted to know it either I need to go shopping for some NAS or I need to tell people to stop saving so much rubbish. Hence I wondered how much space other people allwed their staff and pupils.
    (ours have nowhere near 1Gb each though I have quite a sizable shared area for people to save departmental stuff)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    On our old server we used windows standard quota service. Giving 100mb to students, then the rest to Staff and just monitored on a regular basis.

Staff and Students have approx 350gb of hard-drive space to share between them, so once its gone its gone.

Does anyone know of any good free quota software?
    You can use file management in R2 which comes with disk quotas...

Thank Post
    Windows Server 2003 - Disc Quotes

Students depends on Year, 100mb rising to about 1GB, staff is about 3GB + 100mb roaming profile.

Thank Post
    On the student network, we set all users to have 150mb, then when they start to fill that up, I stick on 100mb every so often.

The staff tend to go a lot higher, the Art / Tech staff particularly, some of which have over 2gb.
    There isn't a single student that is over 1gb, but there were two (in year 13 last year) that approached it, they were both Art / Tech students.

I have recently had to increase some of the ICT students upto over 2gb because the ICT Teacher wants them rto be able to use VM Player for stuff, although I will try to move these images to another server.

The d: disk (where the files are stored) is 650gb, and we have about 1500 students, so I'm just being mean, I couldn't have given everyone a 1gb quota, but I could have gone for a sensible 400mb each. They're using about 250gb of that, I have currently got two complete backups stored on the same disk (for online restores), so there's about 60gb free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    You can use file management in R2 which comes with disk quotas...
    Can you ellaborate please? I'm a bit slow

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    Can you ellaborate please? I'm a bit slow
    R2 is a version of windows server 2003, it comes with a basic disk quota tool.

We use a linux quotas, we set students with a 600MB soft quota and a 700MB hard limit.When the soft quota is reached, students are sent an automated email to tell them to clear out, They cannot exceed the hard quota. When they hit the soft quota, they have one weeks grace period to give them time for a clear out. We can set maximum file size quotas, but haven't implemented that yet.
    All homedrives are backed up by rsync to a remote NAS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread