+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Backout help in Technical; hey, i kinda need help, i am a college student studying IT practitioner and i have a question which i ...

Thank Post

Smile Backout help

hey,

i kinda need help, i am a college student studying IT practitioner and i have a question which i am stuggling on, i need to know a little bit about BACKOUT, i have been given a defination about it but it makes no sence at all!!! please help me

Thanks Jason

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jashworth1990 View Post
    i need to know a little bit about BACKOUT, i have been given a defination about it but it makes no sence at all!!!
    What context are you talking about - what is the definition you have been given?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Assuming you mean with regard to change control:

If a change takes 3 hrs to do, an hour to test and 3 hrs to restore to the original state, you need a minimum of a 7 hr window. At 4hrs, if it's still not working, you restore it as it was so it's working for when people need it rather than keeping hammering away at it.

Use of tools like vmware converter to test major changes beforehand saves a lot of grief and wasted time.

Thank Post
    the definition i have been given is:

platform and/or application software on all online, machine/servers in a cluster is updated without manually taking each machine/server offline. initially, platform and/or application software for updating is stored in respective directories in an APPLY phase. next,the new platform and/or application software is activated with or withouta trial/test phase in an ACTIVATE phase. where the new platform and/or application software is activated with a trial/test phase, a ROLLBACK phase is either autmatically or manually invoked by the application in the event of a failure of the new software for backing out the new platform and/or application software and reactivateing the previous platform and/or application software . an OFICLAL phase then trasitions the new platform and/or application software to the official state followed by a REACTIVEATE phase for reactivating the backup copy of the previous/old platform and/or application software after the new software has been made official.

as you can see this is rather confusing

Thank Post
    thanks for this but i dont want to know how to do it, just what t is...

Thank Post
    A simple definition would be that if you're making changes and they go pear shaped, the backout plan would be how you abandon the changes and go back to the original configuration.
    Last edited by SteveBentley; 13th November 2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: said backup when I meant backout

7. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

jashworth1990 (13th November 2008)

Thank Post
    thank you ever soo much my tuter expects me to understand that definition, big help thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information