+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Will Windows still be number one for years to come? in Technical; Originally Posted by Quackers Interesting..... Carphone recalls webbook after customers find Linux confusing - Mobile Today Will Linux ever be ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Interesting.....

Carphone recalls webbook after customers find Linux confusing - Mobile Today

Will Linux ever be accepted by the mass market like Windows or will it always be a for a small market?
    On another forum someone claimed that returns on the Linux net/webbooks are four times that of the XP ones. My personal opinion isn't that customers are finding Linux confusing, but more that they are confused as to what they are buying in the first place. Your Average Joe sees a keyboard and screen and thinks "computer" and for your Average Joe Computer=Windows. (The more intelligent might stretch to Computer=Windows but White Computer=Mac). I would suspect that the concept of an OS is lost on most, and so they expect the software that runs on their work/friend's machines to run on their "computer" - the importance of having a matching OS for the software that you want to use (and suitable specs) not registering at all. (I know that there are probably equivalent Linux programs, but they're not what Mr A.J. is familiar with).

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I used to work for a certain nationwide retail park PC chain. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that Mac sales grew exponentially from the release of Vista. Also the Asus EeePC's were surprisingly popular and the Linux models were literally flying out the door!

For home users it's seems to be the case of...If I have to relearn the OS and by new software/hardware for Vista, why not relearn the OS and by new software/hardware for OS X/Linux as I've heard generally bad reports for Vista. Vista has given people a reason to consider changing platform...at home.
    Is the above "high returns" claim true? Surely the price of the Eee's had alot to do with sale, btw.

Anyhoo, what's with all this "Vista is difficult" stuff? Apart from the UAC annoyances it works in pretty much the same way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post

Anyhoo, what's with all this "Vista is difficult" stuff? Apart from the UAC annoyances it works in pretty much the same way.
    I find my brain hurts just trying to do file managment in Vista.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12