+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Mandatory profiles with folder redirect in Technical; Im looking to create a OU for some mandatory profiles. They will be some exam accounts, some staff accounts and ...
    Thank Post

Mandatory profiles with folder redirect

Im looking to create a OU for some mandatory profiles.
    They will be some exam accounts, some staff accounts and if it goes well the new users of next year.

What I am trying to understand is Can I still use folder redirection for application data? or will I have to setup each application with a profile while configuring?

Im thinking about dreamweaver and such when site creation data is setup, since the students will need to be able to change and add information and will need to follow them between suites.

Will I still be able to use folder redirection for My documents and the start menu?

Many thanks.

G

Thank Post
    As far as I know the redirecting still works. You should be able to redirect documents and app data although
    If you could let me know how you've managed to get the redirected appdata folder to work it would be appreciated. I get permission errors on the logs of all machines when i tried this. please pm

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    We use mandatory profiles with folder redirection with\ no problems. You might want to check this thread ou for tips on ensuring that everything works with a mndatory profile:

Creating a small mandatory profile

Thank Post
    Yup redirected folders is fine on our teaching machines, I'm wary of redirecting App Data now as it's pushed some roaming profiles up into the hundreds of MB range before!

Thank Post
    Can't you use Shellfolders for Application Data?

Thank Post
    I have setup the new mandatory profiles without a hitch, redirection wasnt a problem and logon times have gone from about a minuite to 10 seconds. Very happy with the benefits and has reduced support calls in general and eliminated profile related problems and other problems we were getting. In fact some times im thinking something is going to go critical because its just too quiet now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Yup redirected folders is fine on our teaching machines, I'm wary of redirecting App Data now as it's pushed some roaming profiles up into the hundreds of MB range before!
    Shouldn't do - the whole point of redirecting appdata is that it moves what can be a huge folder out of the profile area and leaves it on the server.

There are a few problems with re-directing appdata; most are niggles (eg some apps don't honour the redirection and leave stuff in the local profile) This means that if you have mandatory profiles those settings will get lost at logoff. There are also show stopping problems - the one I can think of is that Adobe Reader 9 breaks with appdata pointing to a UNC (basically utter rubbish programming!)

Thank Post
    We redirect Appdata to the users Homedrive, therefore keeping the profile(s) small and managable. this obviously allows some user customisation outside of the Mandatory profiles 'fixed' nature.
    Also the Adobe reader issue is with version 9 only(they have actually admitted it's their fault) switch to 8 and no problems.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread