+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, TWAIN scanner access for all AD users in Technical; We've got a scanner that we would like to use attached to a WinXP AD-domain connected machine. We've got the ...

Thank Post

TWAIN scanner access for all AD users

We've got a scanner that we would like to use attached to a WinXP AD-domain connected machine. We've got the drivers installed on that machine and they work fine if you log in as admin but if you try to access them as a student (AD login) you get an error saying the scanner isn't plugged in or something.

After a bit of Googling I came up with the suggestion to use regedit on said machines and edit HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControl\Control\StillImage but it didn't go into detail. There is a 'REG_SZ' key at that location so my guess was that here I had to enter the name of the scanner as displayed under 'Scanners and Cameras' for its VALUE. Did that, restarted machine but no luck.

I tried this on a Win XP SP3 box with a Mustek 1200 UB USB scanner under the GIMP. I would like any user who logs onto that machine to be able to use the scanner please! I should imagine there is a switch for the users server-side I will need to adjust (too)?
    Last edited by danboid; 8th November 2008 at 11:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Nobody?

I thought this would've been a pretty common task for edugeekers?

Thank Post
    We the exact same scanner, and it just worked without any fidling, drivers installed, then put scanner program into startup so when kids logged onto that machine, it auto sarted for them, scanned it, then asked them where to save the picture

Not sure why you having problems! have you installed the drivers from the CD, or downloaded the new ones from website?

Thank Post
    Hi pscott!

Never saw the original driver disk but the driver I got off the net works just fine, as admin, so I don't think its a driver but a Windows/AD issue.

We've had exactly the same problem with a different machine / scanner. Whether we use GIMP or the little util that comes with the driver all we get is 'scanner not plugged in' or a similar error when not logged in as admin. Currently we have to get a teacher to log in on said machines as admin if someone wants to use the scanner.

Domain controller is a server 2003 box btw

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread