+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Folder text in White - Aaaarrrrhh in Technical; Hang on a sec.. the kids are somehow changing the settings on your server??!! So are all your folders on ...
    Thank Post

Re: Folder text in White - Aaaarrrrhh

Hang on a sec.. the kids are somehow changing the settings on your server??!! So are all your folders on your server affected or only certain user home dirs?

Thank Post

No, they only have access to their own documents area on the server, through the My Documents icon on their desktop. They somehow alter the text format in there. I think it is to do with the desktop.ini file in some way. I just need to get the time in amongst the chaos of this place to check it out for shure!

Thank Post

Right ok.

I've been into several user folders directly on the server. For some reason, even when folder options is set to VIEW hidden and system files, I can't see the greyed out 'desktop.ini'. However, I know it is there because I can open it with the command: 'notepad d:\<path>\desktop.ini'

I have tried opening the file when logged on as a pupil and I can edit and save with no problems. However, I just can't see our pupils going to that legnth. Maybe I underestimate them, or maybe they have a small util that does it for them?

Either way, my next question is: How do I stop it? Is there an automated way of replaceing the desktop.ini at all levels of folder heirarchy? Can I set permissions on it? What happens when they create new folders. Will a default desktop.ini not also be created which they can edit?

Thank Post

If you want to replace the desktop.ini file in all folders, i would say us a script and if you want to stop them from changing the desktop.ini file, maybe set permissions on it. if you wanted to set permissions on a large scale ie all you home dirs then run a script using cacls to set the permissions. I'll create one later today if that is of use to you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They are probably using the 'customize this folder' wizard. Disable Web Desktop in your GPOs.

Thank Post

Does the server that holds the home folders run windows server2003 r2? If it does then you could set a file restriction on it, so these files cannot be created.

fooby

Thank Post

Or, just forget about it.

The way I see it is, they get a little bit of customization for their own area, that causes no damage, and only inconveniences them.

If they need come to me with a problem that involves navigating the area then I just say I won't do anything to help unless I can see the writing.

Also, they probably can see the writing when logged in as them, when it's been done here they've put images as backgrounds, but the location is usally their mapped drive so it's broken when anyone but them looks in their folder.

If it's really bothering you that much set a script to delete it or overwrite it with a clean one at logon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12