+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Sophos EM refuses to work! in Technical; I have a server that runs WSUS and Sophos EM. Something random happened to it and both stopped working. I ...

Thank Post

Sophos EM refuses to work!

I have a server that runs WSUS and Sophos EM. Something random happened to it and both stopped working. I fixed WSUS quite easily but Sophos is being a PITA.

I have re-installed multiple times, including re-installs of SQL Express (both 2005 and 2008) wioth no luck. Every time it comes up with an error which the Sophos knowledge base reckons has somethign to do with the user account that the management service is trying to run as - this 'magical' management service just refuses to start!

I was beginning to think it hated x64 Windows (Server 2003) buit then I remembered that it did work.

Ideas?

Thank Post
    Weird mate.

Only thing I can think of is that a user account it uses has somehow been moved to a different OU or taken out of a security group somewhere?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ddy View Post
    Weird mate.

Only thing I can think of is that a user account it uses has somehow been moved to a different OU or taken out of a security group somewhere?
    It uses the local system account.

Thank Post
    Have you tried logging in via the local account and running Sophos?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mullet_man View Post
    Have you tried logging in via the local account and running Sophos?
    You cannot login with the local system account - it is an account for running services and therefore is denied local logon rights. The service does not start however.

Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a database connection issue... hmmm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    You cannot login with the local system account - it is an account for running services and therefore is denied local logon rights. The service does not start however.

Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a database connection issue... hmmm.
    Actually, you can logon as the system account, you just SHOULDN'T.

Is there nothing useful in the Eventlog or whatever Sophos uses to log "events" ?

The number of times I've had to re-install the equivalent Mcafee EPO server, due to it buggering itself up... I run it as a VM now, and just keep a working backup copy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Actually, you can logon as the system account, you just SHOULDN'T.
    You can't unless you explicitly allow it... obviously I'm not going to do this because you shouldn't.

I discovered that I had forgotten to allow 'named pipes' for SQL but it seems that the Management Server database is simply not being created

I've tried v3.0.0 and v3.1.0 and I'm now at the point of finding the manual adjuster so that I can teach it a lesson!

It should just work... I hate it!

Thank Post
    You haven't mentioned what error you are getting? Something like "0x8004005 Unspecified error"?

The Sophos Management service needs to (1) get to the database and (2) authenticate with the SQL server when it gets there.

The database could be local, remote. Housed in an instance called whatever you like. Be MSDE or SQL. The SQL server might require SQL authenication or Windows AD. First check the SOPHOS3.mdf and SOPHOS3_log.ldf actually exist and you know where you are going (local, remote... read above).

Check in the registry under Sophos\EE\Management Tools for DatabaseConnectionMS

That's the string that tells the service where to go. You can do a UDL test (create a new txt document on the Desktop and call it anything.udl). Run it and select from the provider tab "CannotRememberRememberHowItStartsButItEnds... .. for SQL Server" (about three-quarters down) and click next. Then enter the serverName\instanceName, select "Windows Intergrated" and then choose the SOPHOS3 database from the list. Click "Test connection" and hopefully it should work. Click OK and then edit the UDL with notepad and compare the provider string with what's shown in the DatabaseConnectionMS string.

While you're in the registry check a key beneath the "Management Tools" key called "DatabaseUser". If the windows intergrated option in the UDL file worked you don't need any credentials in here. Rename the "DatabaseUser" key to "DatabaseUserOLD" and try and start the service.

TTFN

Thank Post
    @PcDude: Thanks for that... the SOPHOS3 database doesn't seem to be getting created, despite trying several user credentials. Something needs a good kick!

Thank Post
    What a muppet! Since re-trying the install on a x86 server, the one thing I hadn't tried was using the inbuilt MSDE instance.

The thing now works (I think) so all is well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No it is a database issue that can be seen in the registry that prevented the Management service from working.
    Go to the registry in
    HKLM\software\sophos\EE\Management tools\ databaseconnectionsMS
    Then make sure that the information for the server is correct.

Also in the database user key ( one rung lower ) you will see a reg key that says UseClearText that info should be 0 and the information above it should be blank.
    I have seen information in this location cause the console to not open.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread