+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Do Primary schools have Network Managers? in Technical; Originally Posted by Little-Miss But I don't consider myself to be on NM wage, even if I was full time. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    But I don't consider myself to be on NM wage, even if I was full time. Wondering what single status is going to say about that....
    Not a lot I don't suppose, any excuse to pay us even less - after all we are not teachers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some very useful and interesting replies here. My main employment is 35 HPW term time at a Primary where my pay statement has me as a Teaching Assistant / Special. I'm always referred to as the ICT Technician though and the work I'm actually doing is more akin to what I'd believe a network manager doing. I'm also employed term time on a 2 HPW contract with scope for overtime at a Secondary level special school - that pay statement has me graded as a Technician. Both schools have plenty of scope and seem to need holiday time extra hours. The later school has a lot more kit and I suppose what I need to sort out is a proper shared contract at a realistic rate between the two schools. I'd be very interested to hear how the others here on shared contracts have this arranged?

Thank Post
    One of my (7) schools pays my wages and then charges the other schools at an appropriate rate (inc overheads such as travelling and minor expenses).

If I do any extra work in any of the schools, I just claim overtime directly from that school (All schools in same LA so its just one standard overtime claim form that needs filling in).

This saves the schools all having to set up 7 separate contracts.

They used to take turns in who actually paid me but now one school does it every year.

regards
    Simon
    PS Dreaming of a primary that could afford to have a full time IT person

4. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

speckytecky (3rd November 2008)

Thank Post
    I'm employed by our town's LEA, and placed in a single Primary School as a term-time only (37.5 hours per week) + 5 days outside of term "ICT Manager" which is essentially the same as an NM just a different title.

Thank Post

Network Managers

There are a lot of schools near me that buy in their NM / Technician and to be honest I don't see them going down the route of getting their own. Some of the HT's see IT as some kind of Demon that eats up their budget that, as far as they are concerned should be used for teaching resources.

Thank Post
    I'm a full-time network manager in a large(ish) primary school. Worked for over 9 years before that in large secondary schools and haven't really missed it to tell the truth. The network I have here is quite large and would be simply unmanagable if there was no-one to oversee its operation (namely me).

Get involved in loads of other stuff as well (security systems, business procedures for the school, Health and safety etc), so sort of a ICT/Business Manager.

Lots of primaries around me also have Network Managers altough some of teir jobs aren't as invloved as mine.

Think that this will become the norm in more and more primary schools, as, as the demand for technology increases so there will be more need for support and management.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmh View Post
    I'm a full-time network manager in a large(ish) primary school.
    What do you call large?

60 pupil entry? or more?

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    What do you call large?

60 pupil entry? or more?

regards
    Simon
    Nearly 500 pupils. Not as large as the last secondary I worked at 2,500 pupils, but then I had a team, here I'm on my own but still loads to keep me interested!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    600 pupils in my largest primary. That seems large.

Thank Post
    I am a Network Manager at a Private Prep School (280 pupils) I work full time and the pay is pretty decent to be honest.

It is a great job and I couldn't be happier

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    There are nearly 500 pupils at the middle school (years 5-8)where I do 10 hours a week - I think I will call myself NM even though I am 'officially' an IT tech, as it is just me anyway!
    I also do 10 hours a week at a first school (reception - 4) which has over 300 pupils.
    Obviously on such restricted hours I don't get to do anything other than the basic tech stuff and cannot get involved with anything else, or even do the stuff I would like to do, which is a pity.
    I am employed separately by each school but as they are both in the same LEA I get one payslip with the two amounts listed on it.

Thank Post
    Im a NM at a primary in Birmingham. Am paid full time too were a 2 form entry with nursery so about 500 pupils and 50 staff.

Network is a good size with just under 150 computers / laptops. Plenty to keep me busy

Thank Post
    Interesting responses guys...I always thought that the primarys were taken care of by the local council or LEA. I know that here in West London some of the councils have small IT teams with perhaps 8 team members and they support all the schools in there respective boroughs, with specific allocated days. Not sure how the charging structure works though.

Sam

Thank Post
    NM in a Primary here in Brum, 660 pupils 50 plus staff.
    I wondered if I would have enough to do, believe me I have!

School now wonders how they ever coped without me, so I must be doing something right

Just got to get the SLT to listen to my advise now!

Thank Post
    I'm a full time ICT manager at a large(ish) primary (420 kids). I also have 1 full time term time only technician, and another for 2 days a week. They are mainly used to support another 6 primary schools that we support though.

In total at the main school we work at, between us we are there for 60 hours a week. We've been able to fund this level of cover from the profit we make charging the technicians out to the other schools.

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast