+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, spying / logging software. in Technical; I have been asked by a few parents to look into what their son / daughter is doing on family ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

spying / logging software.

I have been asked by a few parents to look into what their son / daughter is doing on family leased laptops.

Students will be notified that we are logging *everything* that they do and this is mainly for checking that they are not abusing things at home.

I am after recommendations of suitable software for recording *everything*.

For some students it is being done to try and track down what they are doing to intoduce so much spyware, for others it may be about problems with bullying ... and for some it is because parents want to make sure that they are actually working.

This will be part of another parental education session to get families to be aware of the problems with students using the internet at home, family responsibilities, etc ...

Thank Post

Re: spying / logging software.

How about Simon's solution from Internet Audit solutions that we piloted in March?

I'm not sure if they are ready to use their system with home users but it will definately pick up all historical data, so parents can scare the little buggers to death

I know they exist but I can't think of any logging software at the mo - brain dead today

Thank Post

Here are two options care of Messrs Page and Brin:

SoftAcitivity.com
    digitalfuturesoft.com for PC Keylogger Pro

Everything depends on whether or not the child has admin access. If they do then they can countermand any measures you put in place.

Thank Post

typo in Softactivity.com - remove the 'i' between 'c' and 't'

Thank Post

someone maybe able to help me too,

couple of months ago we trialed this piece of software,

http://www.securus-software.com/

we loved it, basically its logs all keypresses and words on screen which match a "badwords" database, its logs time, computer, user and also takes a screenshot of the page with the bad word. stores them on a nice page ready for you to print out of save for later.

has anyone come across anything similar that is either free or cheaper than the £4000 this company wants??

Dan

Thank Post

Yes Dan. I did also think of Securus and the much maligned Impero however these are mainly for LAN use.

The leased laptops require a solution that can cope with extended offline operation away from a log aggregation server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Securus will do that, but IIRC it is a keylogger and will not record websites that have been "clicked" onto from existing bookmarks or emails.

This would mean that it would still be difficult tracking the spywre side of this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts

Apparently:

"SECURUS provides early warning of inappropriate pc activity, some of which could lead to incidents involving cyber bullying, predator grooming, viewing inppropriate material or being "off task". All website visits are recorded removing the need for scanning lengthy logs.

All activity on individual pc's including laptops is automatically monitored by SECURUS against textual word and phrase libraries. A screenshot capture, with date, time, user id and location is automatically triggered every time your school's acceptable use policy is violated."

Guess who got a letter that was a punt for SECURUS from their LEA???

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Seen securus in action and it is pretty good ... I would get regular cold calls from them too ... in fact I had one on Thursday and I explained that at the moment we don't have any need at all for Securus and so it would be pointless to keep ringing up asking if we wanted an evaluation for a fortnight ...

Guess who spoke too soon.

We will give the trial of SoftActivity's Activity monitor a go for a bit whilst we look at other solutions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't think Securus is a keylogger. When we were trialling it, it was picking swearwords that weren't typed in, just ones that were appearing on screen. Securus isn't just for LAN use either, if you put it on a laptop which is then taken away from the network it will upload any violations to the Securus server and make them available for viewing when it is reconnected. That is of course assuming that the laptops are connected back the network....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There's an identical product to Securus [Client software takes screenshots of all flagged items and uploads to server on connection to network] used in a few schools here [dredges thru emails...].

Policy Central - allegedly Windows based and a nicer interface that Securus. To quote a colleague: "The interface on PCE looks a lot better and I believe the system is more powerful and flexible." :P

Same business model almost - though I think the server is thiers.

Thank Post

Policy Central - allegedly Windows based and a nicer interface that Securus. To quote a colleague: "The interface on PCE looks a lot better and I believe the system is more powerful and flexible
    Tony PM me about this before you consider it. We are/were using it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We trailed Policy Central as well. I was much more impressed with Securus tbh. Easier to administer, an MSI for the client, leaner client too

Thank Post

policy central is still very much in development, i have both a securus server and a forensics box on trial. A serious problem with the securus server is that they supply their own box with their own OS on it, we have found this kit to be rather unreliable to say the least (forever rebooting with ide errors) it does keylog though as we are forever finding students that have swear words as their passwords. the main problem with the securus hardware is that from being in direct competition with policy central they were over eager to put their boxs into as many schools on trial as they could. This has lead to them not properly keeping track of all the kit and people requesting replacements for failed boxes not being sorted out.

Now for a bit about forensics. Like i said it is still in development, however there is a stark advantage to this, if there is a feature you think should be added to the forensics system, you can contact them and have features added in later releases. One such feature we requested that is currently being sorted now is the ability to see a summary of violations (a feature already in securus server) and we have already seen screenshots of this ready for it to be added to the next release.

Forensics GUI is not as user freindly as that of securus BUT, forensics has alot more features and as well as monitoring there are also elements of control. For example the ability to turn off internet access for a particular individual, machine or even classroom using the data it retreives from AD. It also has an alerting feature, if you suspect a user is up to no good, you can instruct the forensics box to email you whenever they commit a violation.

The hardware for the forensics server is your own. We used an old dell box that used to have an admin role, just a basic install of XP Pro with IIS and the box is ready to take the forensics install. If it fails you get another box and reinstall, this in my mind is far more efficient than waiting the 5 months i have waited so far for a replacement server from securus! which i do not beleive will ever materialise (if this is a trial box then why should i waste my time chasing a companies support staff for a replacement unit?, in my mind they failed the trial on lack of support)

I think the best thing you can do is trial them both. In my mind securus will come along set up their box, clear off and you will never hear from them again! the mind boggles as to how they are financing their operation.

Forensics will send a guy out who will keep in constant communication with you, listen to your ideas (and implemet them). You probably already know this but forensic is just the next venture by the very same guys that developed ranger, so get in there before RM take over the finished product and development stops

Please excuse my grammar and typos, i wrote this one handed whilst clutching my 2 month old son

<EDIT> PS Both cache violations when away from the network and upload when they connect.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast