+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, msn - again! in Technical; Yes, I know this sort of thing has been discussed before, but does anyone know if it is possible to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

msn - again!

Yes, I know this sort of thing has been discussed before, but does anyone know if it is possible to block a site (msn in this case) for a set period during the day but allow it at other times? Or is there a product that will do it?
    I know it is a long shot but I have teenagers doing exams at home and they need to revise, not be on msn all night! I can't disable the network as they genuinely need it for revision work and to email too and from school.

The kids computer's are independent but go through the same router/firewall.

Thanks
    :?

Thank Post

Re: msn - again!

Hmm domestic context. Windows 98 or XP?

The simple thing to do would be to buy CyberPatrol or NetNanny. They have programable time of day depedant surfing restrictions.

If you have XP and are feeling more adventurous, you can use the task scheduler to run a script which routes the deprecated site to oblivion or edit HOSTS on the fly

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you have firewall software or a firewall built in to your router you can sometimes block ports at certain times of the day.

Thank Post

That would be the ultimate option but ITWitch's requirements were quite specific:

Quote Originally Posted by ITWITCH
    does anyone know if it is possible to block a site (msn in this case) for a set period during the day but allow it at other times? Or is there a product that will do it?
    On the other hand if there is a spare base unit about the place you can always set up CensortNet or SmoothWall+Dansguardian

Hmmm ...The words sledge hammer and nut suddenly come to mind

Thank Post

Thanks guys
    Will try the various options

Teenagers won't like it though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The words sledge hammer and nut suddenly come to mind
    Thing is, the sledge hammer is free. Only problem is some people don't like swinging it about.

Thank Post

You could always swing it at the teenagers instead

@ITWitch - are you trying to block them from using MSN Messenger, or some other feature on the MSN website? As I'm sure a lot of people trying to set up a decent filter have discovered, the problem with blocking MSN chat is there are now a million other websites that offer online chat via MSN - e-messenger.net, meebo.com etc

Yorkshire Martyrs Catholic College, Bradford
    Thank Post

This is why I don't have kids!
    I think, what I would do, is have one pc connected to the internet in a communal area that could be supervised (to an extent obviously) and all the other pc's have them networked but not connected to the internet. If I had children I wouldn't really let them on the net unsupervised just because of the amount of "bad stuff" on there which they will blatantly try to access if they have it to themselves.

I'm always sceptical about NetNanny and stuff like that as kids will always try and find a way around these things.

A big headache either way.

Just remove the internet from your house entirely and send them down to the local library! Yay!

Thank Post

Yeah well, if you don't have children....
    Actually I do police what the children do on the internet, and besides, my sons are nearly grown-up now - and actually they are pretty sensible. You obviously have had a different experience!
    One communal computer doesn't work as they all need it at various times, and having a rota just doesnt work. And then there is my partner and I , who also need to get on the internet all the time for work and other things. We already have 6 computers in the house, I dont wan't any more!!
    I did wonder about the problems with e-messenger, meebo etc, but I was beginning to be desperate.
    I think I might have to just block the internet for a set period, presumably that is do-able?

Thank Post

Pull their cable out of the router when you dont want them going on
    Other than that it would be a bit of an OTT solution as someone has already mentioned in the guise of a modded smoothwall with transparent proxy running Dansguardian and one of those other mods aimed at getting rid of those messenger type programs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes - timetabled connected time on allowed tasks - pull router connection to them after that - sounds do-able!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information