+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Digital Signage - Simple approach? in Technical; Originally Posted by j17sparky To make it continually loop you have to go to "Slideshow Setup" in powerpoint. Even though ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    To make it continually loop you have to go to "Slideshow Setup" in powerpoint.
    Even though the option is there i cant figure out how to get powerpoint to display in a 16:9/10 resolution. If you go the showpoint way maybe consider a 4:3 screen
    I've actually found that it's a little easier to have your Powerpoint set up to loop before you save it as a show.

Also, I've set up my Powerpoint page setup to be the same size as the screen so that it displays the same on my PC screen as it does on the LCD screen. Makes editing a whole lot easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    The Showpoint thing would be great if it wasn't for the fact that it's for 2007 and this machine is most definitely not 2007 capable.
    It is???
    We have it running with 2003 with no problems at all. Have done for ages.

Thank Post
    I have a few screens around the school. I've actually gone one step further and used a VGA to Composite converter box and then a composite to RF modulator and plugged it into the areial loop in the school. I have 2 different feeds into the loop on different channels so any normal TV can tune into one of 2 different feeds. We also have a digi box pushing it's output onto a 3rd channel and a DVD player and video player hooked up to the system as well. We can send all the devices outputs down the same cable, and choose on each screen what source we want it to receive, as they are all pushed over a single bit of coax, but each one on a different channel.

RF modulators are £29.99 from maplin and are great as you can send up to 30 to 40 different video streams down a single bit of coax!

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 14th October 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Woah woah woah! So you can just stick a converter into your PC, run a cat5 cable to your screen and another converter? And thats it?

If so, I can tear up the expensive digital signage quote we got.
    indeed you can, the most usefull bit of equipment since the screw driver imo!

We once had 30PCs in a cupboard with a converter one end and the other then in a box attached to the desk, no PCs in the classroom at all, though it was a good idea to begin with it became a big annoyance when the PCs started getting issues

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsharpe View Post
    It is???
    We have it running with 2003 with no problems at all. Have done for ages.
    Ah... MS Marketing machine probably set the "requirement" there then.. Thanks for the clarification.

sdc
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I have a few screens around the school. I've actually gone one step further and used a VGA to Composite converter box and then a composite to RF modulator and plugged it into the areial loop in the school. I have 2 different feeds into the loop on different channels so any normal TV can tune into one of 2 different feeds. We also have a digi box pushing it's output onto a 3rd channel and a DVD player and video player hooked up to the system as well. We can send all the devices outputs down the same cable, and choose on each screen what source we want it to receive, as they are all pushed over a single bit of coax, but each one on a different channel.

RF modulators are £29.99 from maplin and are great as you can send up to 30 to 40 different video streams down a single bit of coax!

Mike.
    This sounds like a great idea to me - I'm wondering if there's any noticeable drop in quality at each stage of conversion?

Thank Post
    I set up a nice 42" lcd tv in reception and drilled a nice big whole through the wall and plugged it into an old laptop where 3 of the usb socets are broken and the battery and wireless doesnt work.

Just running a powerpoint presentation and the librarain updates it every morning to say the latest news etc.

Works well but would prefer a proper soultion.

Thank Post
    Can I just get the cat 5 vga converter thing straight in my head?

I put lcd screen in reception, plug vga in converter box, plug converter box into network socket, then in another part of the building connect another vga converter box to computer and connect that to network socket and whatever i put on said computer is displayed on reception lcd? Or have it got it totally a**e about face?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    I put lcd screen in reception, plug vga in converter box, plug converter box into network socket, then in another part of the building connect another vga converter box to computer and connect that to network socket and whatever i put on said computer is displayed on reception lcd? Or have it got it totally a**e about face?
    Bear in mind that you are connecting the two points via Cat5 cable, not over an Ethernet network - you have to have an actual, physical wire running between the VGA converter boxes. This generally isn't a problem with properly put-together wiring cabinets, you simply connect ports together in your patch panels until you have a connection between the two points you want, but you aren't running this through a switch.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Just had read the post a couple of times to grasp the not using the switch bit - you mean in the comms cabinet just connect the two relevant patch panels ports to each other?

Would this work instead - lcd in reception connected to secretary's computer behind reception wall as second monitor displaying images etc seperate to the display on her computer monitor?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Just had read the post a couple of times to grasp the not using the switch bit - you mean in the comms cabinet just connect the two relevant patch panels ports to each other?
    Yes. Just imagine you're running a single, long Cat5 wire between two points.

Would this work instead - lcd in reception connected to secretary's computer behind reception wall as second monitor displaying images etc seperate to the display on her computer monitor?
    Yes, as long as the secretary's PC has a dual-head graphics card. Bear in mind that said secretary can drag random windows and whatnot onto the second display.

--
    David Hicks

12. Thanks to dhicks from:

chrbb (24th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Yes, as long as the secretary's PC has a dual-head graphics card. Bear in mind that said secretary can drag random windows and whatnot onto the second display.

--
    David Hicks
    Which I would say is pretty likely. You could get some pretty wacky things happening so I really wouldn't do it like this except as a very brief proof of concept.

If you just want to do a slide show then almost any old PC would work and would save the risk of private correspondence etc being shown on the foyer screens :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Samsung Magic Info screens cost £1900 for the 46" version.

These are backed by a 3 year warranty and are commercial quality panels.

Each screen has a pc running xp pro embedded on it and the software to manage them is free with the screen.

Installation costs per screen is only what is required to mount them so possibly another £200 - £300.

I saw a demo of these on wednesday and the software is easy to use.

Ben

Thank Post
    just an idea but we are exploring the idea of putting the computer feed into a slingbox and then adding a slingcatcher to a screen somewhere else on campus as this would allow the feed to run over the network infrastructure, especially useful if you don't have point to point network wiring in place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12