I should proof read my titles before I list. Sorry
I have set a GPO to pooint at our proxy server, the only problem is only certain users are picking up the policy; so some have internet access some don't. Can's seem to find an answer on the net. Have been getting help from ChrisH but I am getting nagged to death over this. Any ideas out there?
I should proof read my titles before I list. Sorry
What type of user profiles do you use?
We use mandatory profiles and was seeing a similar problem (had no issues when on roaming profiles last year) - so in the end I just manually entered the proxy details into the ntuser.dat / .man file for the profile using regedit and that sorted it.
We do it as bat file when the user logs in and just maps the correct proxy. Good thing with that is we also have a banned internet GPO so if students need to be banned then we throw them in there as it maps a spoof proxy.
It seems to me your DCs arent replicating correctly... How many DCs have you got??? It might be worth installing and running a piece of software called sonar... http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en. We set ours through GPO. The GPO at domain level has our proxy details in but further down down the tree in AD, we have a group set for kids that we deny access to the internet and this works fine.
Like I saud, give sonar a go, you will be able to see what isnt replicating... and you might just have to dcpromo it but make sure you have moved the FSMO roles before hand.
Also, try running gpupdate /force to force a refreash for group policy on all DCs.
Last edited by timbo343; 13th October 2008 at 01:50 PM.
We use roaming profiles.
I have downloaded Sonar and will give that a go.
we've recently also had issues with proxy settings not being deployed out via GPO.
We run IE7 and re-addressed our site in the summer, we changed the proxy address in the relevant GPO's and all was well, until I tried to rationalize our AD and remove the proxy from some GPO's as it was being set in duplicate GPO's.
It all went t*ts up to the point that somehow the old proxy settings were being applied.
Running the GPO wizard confirmed that the correct policy was applying, but when we looked in to that GPO the correct values were there, BUT the old values were being set at the machine.
We ended up running a fix it batch file at logon to set the proxy while we looked in to it....by the time a few days had passed of head scrathing I rem'd the line out that was setting it via batch file and pretty much 99.9% of machines were then OK....
I still get a few where teachers can't get online, I just have to go to that pc and delete their local profile and it then is OK....
You couldn't give us a copy of the batch file you were using could you? It may take the pressure off here while I get to the bottom of this. We too have changed our proxy settings and we also had multiple occurances so when I changed it and it went wrong when I reset the address some PC's get the old some the new and the regulard that can't get on still can't.!! Really frustrating
Are you applying the setting to all users or have you got your users seperated into year groups?
Is this change an update to how you setHow did you set the proxy previously? As sippo has said, it can be done via a bat file at logon.
Another thing to consider is running Delprof to remove any local profiles on computers.
I logged in to a pc as myself, set the proxy up and then exported the key.
the batch file entry was:
REM TEMP FIX FOR PROXY SETTINGS WRONG IN AD
regedit.exe /s "\\fp2\netlogon\Batch\ie7proxy.reg"
where proxy.reg was the settings from:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]
Another thing to remember is that you are using IE7 everywhere and also have the latest adm template too. Maybe a bit obvious, but can be easily overlooked.
We have year groups speerate.
We have for a while had trouble with the odd sers but it as got a lot worse since september. I have this week been testing a new Censornet Pro server out using year 7's to see if it sorted the problem but it doesn't so the prob' must reside in AD; just haven't managed to find where.
as an update to this:
everyone seems to be getting online at the moment.
When I expand the Group Policy Results Wizard to the location where the IE proxy settings should be - there is nothing....
Internet Explorer Maintenance section is there but only sub-entries for:
Browser User Interface/Browser Custom Logo and Animated Bitmaps &
IS NOT THERE
If I look at what GPO's are being applied:
Browser Settings & Startup Programs - All Users curriculum.local/Balcarras
Is being applied and HOLDS the correct proxy information:
Security filtering is set to apply this GPO to AUTHENTICATED USERS.
GPO status is enabled.
The GPO is NOT enforced. (Should I enforce it?)
I've checked all other applying GPO's and not of them hold proxy details (they used to but I deleted them a few weeks ago) - when this whole problem started
To cap it all....
If I run regedit and remotely log in to a client while a student is logged on and navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\
it lists the proxy details as 10.10.2.201 (last years values)
WHICH ARE THE SETTINGS I WANT TO OVER-WRITE with the ones from AD
I need to learn to read,
sorry cant be of help.
Last edited by ashleyrobinson; 15th October 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Have a look attached file this might help.
Please delete .zip at the end it's HTM file (Internet Proxy Setting.htm.zip)
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)