+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, How to duplicate a group policy object in Technical; I have a decent, extensive "No Internet Privs" group policy object that I want to duplicate to a "Low Internet ...
    Thank Post

How to duplicate a group policy object

I have a decent, extensive "No Internet Privs" group policy object that I want to duplicate to a "Low Internet Privs" policy.

I've got the GPMC tool and read the manual here but there is a pop-up box I'm not sure of.

Here's what I'm doing:

1) Clicking on "Group Policy Objects" to see all my GPOs
    2) Right-click my desired "Noprivs" policy, click COPY
    3) Browse to the organisational unit I want to put the copy in ("LowPrivs")
    4) Click PASTE

I then get a popup box saying "Do you want to link the GPOs that you have selected for this organisation unit?)

Do I? If I click OK will it just create a link to the group policy, or will it then ask me to give it a new name?

I want to call the policy "LowPrivs" when I can, I'll then modify it with the "Lowprivs" desktop background, remove IE from the restricted apps list and point the proxy to a whitelist PAC file.

TIA.

Thank Post
    No, doing that will simply create a link to your existing GPO. You need to copy and paste the GPO into the Group Policy Objects folder. This will then create "Copy of No Internet Privs" which you can then rename and link separately.

3. Thanks to rusty155 from:

Gibbo (13th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Ah, great, thanks.

Do I need to:

"Use the default permissions for new GPOs"

or

"Preserve the existing permissions"

Thank Post
    This depends on how you have set up your security filtering for the GPO. The default permissions will apply the object to "authenticated users". Using existing permissions whill do exactly that - copy across any changes to the security filtering that you may have made to the original GPO.

Being that you are copying a GPO to create a new one, and thus want the original as the foundation, I would preserve the permissions so as to keep everything the same to begin with.

Hope that made sense!

6. Thanks to rusty155 from:

Gibbo (13th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Thank you, that seems to be looking ok, I'll make some tweaks and test the new policy.

Thank Post

Windows 2008 R2

Does anyone know if you can do this in Server 2008 R2 Group Policy Management Console?

If I right click on an existing GPO the copy option is there but I am unable to find the paste button and CTRL + V does not work.

If anyone knows I'ld really appreciate it as will save writing a big policy again just to change a few bits.

(Incase your curious I've just written a very big 2008 R2 external terminal services policy and now I want to copy it so that I can make some adjustments and then use it for the 2008 r2 internal terminal services policy - a few tweaks like removing the disclaimer, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance, regards, Ed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ect View Post
    Does anyone know if you can do this in Server 2008 R2 Group Policy Management Console?

If I right click on an existing GPO the copy option is there but I am unable to find the paste button and CTRL + V does not work.

If anyone knows I'ld really appreciate it as will save writing a big policy again just to change a few bits.

(Incase your curious I've just written a very big 2008 R2 external terminal services policy and now I want to copy it so that I can make some adjustments and then use it for the 2008 r2 internal terminal services policy - a few tweaks like removing the disclaimer, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance, regards, Ed.
    its about WHERE you look for copy gpmc is as far as i remember the same on xp+ and right clicking on the group policy objects container on the left hand window pane produces paste

10. Thanks to sted from:

Sunderwood (17th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread