+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Sysprep and wireless settings in Technical; Hi Sysprep seems to be knocking out our wireless settings, how would i stop it from doing this please? Thanks ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sysprep and wireless settings

Hi

Sysprep seems to be knocking out our wireless settings, how would i stop it from doing this please?

Thanks

Z

Thank Post
    You can't stop it doing this, sysprep has always done this to me.

However there is a handy script somewhere which can automatically add machines to the wireless network at first boot. You have to create a file using the networking wizard in Windows XP, and get it to call the EXE at first logon, and it adds the machine to the wireless system.

I'm sure it used to be in the wiki, but can't find it now, but I can assure you it exists as I use it on my images. If you can't track it down, I'll send it to you tomorrow if you like?

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,248 Posts
    I can confirm this behaviour is normal, but I am sure there are lots of ways to re-instate wireless settings using the Run Once option (at the end of sysprep).

Thank Post
    you can also use xp sp3 to export the connection settings as an xml file for import/export with net sh although I don't know it if contains the wireless key as I used it for wired 802.1x.

5. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Cowardlyduck (8th September 2009)

Thank Post

Wireless PEAP settings

Hi all,

New to these forums...

I have encountered this problem with Sysprep also, but the solution above does not seem to apply to my specific circumstances.

The problem I can see exists because; whilst the Wireless config wizard does allow you to set up a wireless network, it does not allow you to specifically configure the security configuration settings.

What I need to be able to do is set our T61's to automatically use WEP with PEAP authentication and prompt for the user name and password (ie, not use the logon user name and password). These specific settings do not get presented for editing in the Wizard. Is there any way to manually specify these settings in the wizards .exe file afterwards?

The solution i'm leaning towards at the moment will need to be a script running at the end of sysprep, but I have no clue how to write a script to do this, or where I can get one. Any idea's?

Other alternatives I was looking at were manually editing the Default User registry Hive, but I was unable to locate the areas which control wireless settings. Anyone know where they are (possibly under HKEY_LOCAL...)? I'm also not sure if sysprep will wipe these out as well though otherwise I wouldn't need the other solution above???

Any answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I may have found the solution as hadn't fully understood DMcCoy's post.

Will check it out to see whether or not it works with our requirements.

http://www.pctipsbox.com/migrate-you...less-settings/

Blake
    Last edited by Cowardlyduck; 8th September 2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Found potential solution

Thank Post

Dead end...

Looks like that last path lead no where.

-The image I am using in on XP SP3 which does not have the netsh wlan command. As far as I can tell this is only available under vista, svr 08 etc.

Due to time constraints I've just had to accept we will be doing it manually.

Would still really like to know if there is a solution to this if anyone knows.

Thank Post
    a script using WifiCfg_XP.exe (its posted about on her lots) should enable you to do it i would of though just add that script to your runonce on sysprep

alternatively (mainly as im not quite sure what you are doing) you could use regshot possibly run it make the settings change on 1 pc run it again and create a reg file of the differances

9. Thanks to sted from:

Cowardlyduck (10th September 2009)

Thank Post

Success

Thanks heaps sted.

Got it working using that app. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Blake

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread