+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WSUS with Equinet Cachepilot in Technical; Hi peeps. I'm having a problem with WSUS SP1 synchronizing with Microsoft Update. I have just recently installed it as ...
    Thank Post

WSUS with Equinet Cachepilot

Hi peeps.

I'm having a problem with WSUS SP1 synchronizing with Microsoft Update. I have just recently installed it as a clean install with no previous versions.

Here is a few details of the setup we have:

1. WSUS is installed on a domain controller.
    2. Our school goes through an E2BN Equiinet Cachepilot proxy (Release 3.2.5 (upgraded)).
    3. Proxy is using user login authentication (LDAP thingy) so we can see who has accessed what sites via Tail.

In the WSUS proxy settings, I inputted the proxy name, port number, and login credentials with "Allow basic authentication (password is sent in cleartext)" enabled. With these settings, in therory, WSUS should work. But I get this error message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.Ser verSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib. InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib. Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAge ntCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAge ntCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a known issue? Is there fix/workaround?

Any ideas would rock.

Cheers all

Thank Post
    As a fellow Norfolk ICT Tech, i'll break it to you that ICT Solutions filter WSUS directly and always have. All is not lost however, as they now have an WSUS 3 SP1 upstream server. If you give them a call, they may provide the IP to you, else i can have a look at my settings tomorrow.

Craig

Thank Post
    Dont know if its any help but whenever i manually go to the Windows Update site i get "Profile_Unknown"/Username=Anonymous error.

Thank Post
    Had a go at calling ICT Solutions today but the internal phone system being a pain in the rear.

If someone could give me the ICT Solutions WSUS 3 SP1 upstream IP with port number, I would be very grateful.

Thank Post
    ICT Solutions have not always filtered WSUS - it used to work quite happily! The 407 error is probably due to AD authentication on the cachepilot - there's a config option in WSUS to adjust the proxy authentication settings.

The upstream WSUS server used to be 10.96.207.100 but could well have changed since I last looked.
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 7th October 2008 at 03:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm using the Servers user account for proxy authentication and it belongs to the netinet group. It should work but it doesn't. Tried my own credentials but no joy. Nothing looks amiss in AD either.

Thank Post
    Quick update.

For a test I tweaked the Cachepilot so I don't have to input user proxy credentials in a 2 hour timespan. WSUS synchronizes with no problems. Hope it still askes for credentials outside the 2 hours eek.

Bummer that it hates AD authentication.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread