+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Explorer Crashing (DEP) in Technical; You need to add a new Group Policy Object through Active Directory. I would put it on the domain root ...

Thank Post
    You need to add a new Group Policy Object through Active Directory. I would put it on the domain root (i.e. domain.local). I have called mine FIX SOPHOS!

You then need to edit the GPO with the following settings:

Computer Config...Admin Templates...Windows Components...Internet Explorer...Security Features...Add On Management...Add On List

Click Enabled Button...Then Show Button below.

You then need to follow Sophos instructions to add the new "add-on" and disable it.

HTH
    Mark

Thank Post
    Hi Bro,

This link - Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+: Data Execution Prevention message displayed when closing Windows Explorer gives the four options under 'What to do':

* Disable Web Content Scanner BHO locally (Sophos kb 36265)
    * Disable Web Content Scanner BHO centrally (kb 45206)
    * In EM Library subscribe to the fixed RC2 package (same kb, 46484)
    * Disable Explorer.exe from loading Web Content Scanner BHO (same kb)

So the domain policy is the second of the four options. If you only have a few machines affected, it's easiest to go for the first or fourth option. For more machines, the second or third.

Simon B.
    Sophos support.

Thank Post
    I have seen this DEP and multiple explorer crashes on three different laptops in the past day. Two are brand new, clean XP Pros with no software installed, just an OS and all windows updates. The Explorer errors began after Windows Updates.... Thanks.

Thank Post
    I dont think this is sophos guys...

I read this thread originally the other day and agreed with the idea that sophos was causing this, the majority of people reporting this fault to me do after all have sophos installed. However,

I have a test machine in my office which until a week ago had windows xp with sp3 and it had no problems for the 3 months it had been running for. It was rebuilt a week ago and my wsus server reports its now 100% up to date and already today it has had this DEP error 5 times using different programs. This machine has never had sophos installed on it.

Therefore i can only assume, one of the updates released in the most recent patch day has caused this DEP error as this machine is only a week old, and the previous incarnation had been kept fully up to date with no issues.

If theres any more info on what causes this or a fix i'd love to know as i have near on 500 machines which could be affected by this problem.

james

Thank Post
    I know for a fact it's not just Sophos. NONE of this machines I've seen this on (five now in the last few days) have Sophos installed or ever did. I as well have hundreds of PCs to keep track of. They have to figure this out???

Thank Post
    It doesnt seem to be program specific either, ive had someone tell me paint crashed on them with a DEP error, some were just using internet explorer, media player, just seems random.

Im just hoping MS arent stupid enough to release an update that could cause this to happen as DEP is integrated into windows and short of setting up a massive list in the programs to exclude from DEP i dont know what to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sab_sophos View Post
    In EM Library subscribe to the fixed RC2 package (same kb, 46484) .
    Whats the recommended procedure for this?
    When I switch to 'central' for the databank a IDE's only package is listed but not SAV + IDE's?
    Should I override the current update location or create a fresh?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Since I've implemented the fix at all my sites, the DEP problems have gone away (touchwood) and all are running Sophos.

Sophos have also claimed responsibility that v7.6.0 does create DEP errors and that it'll be fixed in v7.6.1 officially.

As for other applications causing DEP errors, check the event log. It can give a clue as to where the problem might be. In saying that though, originally I thought it was something Windows specific as explorer.exe is one of the key processes, but of course all applications rely on this process.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123