+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Exchange 2007 CALs in Technical; We've just moved from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007. Only about a dozen staff use outlook, the rest use web ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2007 CALs

We've just moved from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007. Only about a dozen staff use outlook, the rest use web access only.
    2 questions:
    Do I need a CAL for every PC or just the ones using outlook?
    I'm asking this as I don't think I need a CAL for every staff home PC where they use web access...

Do I need to purchase Exchange 07 cals for all my PCs or just the new PCs that we didn't alreday have Exchange 03 cals for (and continue to use my existing exchange 03 cals)?

Chris

Thank Post
    You have a couple of options:
    1. Purchase Exchange 2007 User CALs for each user of your system - this will allow access via Outlook or OWA from anywhere using any device
    2. Purchase Exchange 2007 Device CALs for every machine you have - this allows anyone access from any of your computers - if you want access from machines offsite you will also need an External Connector License

Remember that you will also need the necessary Windows Server CALs. All your CALs must be for the correct version too.

Of course all this assumes that you are using Select licensing... Schools Agreement and Campus Agreement are a different kettle of fish.

Now that you've picked yourself up off the floor after realising you need to spend several grand on licenses, switch to a more sustainable system such as open source Zimbra

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Now that you've picked yourself up off the floor after realising you need to spend several grand on licenses, switch to a more sustainable system such as open source Zimbra
    Interestingly, Yahoo have just announced Better integration of Zimbra with exchange, not sure of the details but I guess it makes for an easier exchange migration

Yahoo's Zimbra gets Exchange support - ZDNet.co.uk

Thank Post
    Or you could just get a Schools Desktop Agreement where all the Cals you need are included in the price.

Core Cals include all required CALs for
    Microsoft Windows Server,
    Microsoft Exchange Server,
    Microsoft Systems Management Server,
    Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    You have a couple of options:
    1. Purchase Exchange 2007 User CALs for each user of your system - this will allow access via Outlook or OWA from anywhere using any device
    2. Purchase Exchange 2007 Device CALs for every machine you have - this allows anyone access from any of your computers - if you want access from machines offsite you will also need an External Connector License

Remember that you will also need the necessary Windows Server CALs. All your CALs must be for the correct version too.

Of course all this assumes that you are using Select licensing... Schools Agreement and Campus Agreement are a different kettle of fish.

External connector doesn't cover employees. If you license the user then they can use it externally and internally, if you license per device then you will need some more user/device cals for external machines/users.

Thank Post

Licensing Arrgh!

I was hoping to get one answer not 3 more questions!
    Thanks for all your feedback.

We've chosen exchange over open source as it integrates nicely with Sharepoint which our VLE is based on.

Per user license would need to include 200 staff and 1700 students.
    Per PC would be about 800 but then potentially the same as above on top to cover all the staff and students home PCs as well

Does anyone have a link to a page that explains all the MS licensing in enough detail for me to make an informed choice without too much legal blather?

Thanks

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnsonuk View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a page that explains all the MS licensing in enough detail for me to make an informed choice without too much legal blather?
    I'd suggest either calling MVLS direct or your prefered MS reseller, I'd also suggest getting the response in email too just in case your misadvised. Last year when I was looking at some MS licensing I called MS 3 times, spoke to 3 different people and got 3 different answers. Says enough about MS licensing really.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnsonuk View Post
    Per PC would be about 800 but then potentially the same as above on top to cover all the staff and students home PCs as well
    Just a note... I don't think that you can license devices that are not owned by the school under your volume license agreement plus you cannot guarantee that the home users will always use the same device.

I think that the only way to do it is using per user CALs - 1900 of them in your case!

Thank Post
    OK,

suppose i have Exc. Server 2007 Standard license,

so I only need to get the Windows Server 2003 license to install for each role:

1 Exc. Server 2007 license
    4x WS 2003 Std. license

for the current deployment:

1 Edge transport
    1 Hub transport
    1 Mailbox Server
    1 Client access server

cmiiw

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    You could buy the Enterprise Edition of Server and install up to 4 VMs of it with that one licence assuming you have hardware capable of doing it, but you know you can combine rolls together thus meaning you don't need 4 servers for that job.

11. Thanks to john from:

albertwt (11th March 2010)

Thank Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You could buy the Enterprise Edition of Server and install up to 4 VMs of it with that one licence assuming you have hardware capable of doing it, but you know you can combine rolls together thus meaning you don't need 4 servers for that job.
    ok so that's for the Windows Server license I'm sure about that, but how about with the Exchange Server itself ? I assume it is flexible enough so that it can be done as above (one license for many role).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread