+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, random named folders appearing in my docs in Technical; One thought that did occur.... If I change a users my documents to another location (which they do not have ...
    Thank Post
    One thought that did occur....

If I change a users my documents to another location (which they do not have write access to) and map their my documents to a drive letter instead they could then use MS Office and wait for an access denied error.

As surely if Office tries to create a folder in My Documents without write access it would generate an access denied error. If this popped up after completing a specific action within Office it might give enough of a clue to avoid/resolve this problem.

Thank Post
    that sounds like a good way to test.. but it all depends on whether or not office is being told to save temporary data into the users documents folder or not.. I say that because it creates the random folder when the program is started which suggests to me some sort of temp data storage or settings storage.

Thank Post
    Another trend I noticed is that people who heavily use Excel seem to have more random folders than others, is this something you've noticed too?

Thank Post
    At the time it seemed to be mainly word causing it.. Ive tried to replicate the problem today with a the user account i know that had the problem but i cant get it to do it at all.. It does still happen though as there are loads on user areas with todays date on them.

Thank Post
    Hi

I know this will be a long shot but is it the autosave option in word creating the folder and the files.

Richard

Thank Post
    Have a look at tool and option and save

save.JPG

Have a see if something like make a local copy of files on network drive has been ticked of something has been set in here.

Richard

Thank Post
    I have a similar problem, I got this problem after I removed a lot of generic settings from the user hive (I use mandatory profiles). As we set the profiles up with a test user to ensure correct operation the My Documents folder is directed to the wrong area which is not a good thing. I removed this setting and also a lot of other references to our test user. All I can think of is that I have removed some office settings as well I am going to test this out this morning and I will post another reply if it works.

Thank Post
    ricki, have checked the save options and i havent got that option ticked. I also checked in the options where to create the autosave and it was directed to the user profile.

Paulk, That sounds like we are getting somewhere! Ive done exactly the same thing i think and its since then that its started. I recently removed some lingering traces of the account name i used to create the mandatory profile in the shell folders registry section. Im testing too to see if that made a difference.

Please let me know how your testing goes, im eager to see if its worked.

james

Thank Post
    guys, an update to previous post...

i have found one of these folders with actual files in them, the text file it turns out had an excel header to it so i opened it up in excel and voila an excel spreadsheet appeared.. One of the _r files has a header that is the web address which matches our outlook web access server.

My guessing is its users opening word/excel files from inside an email as opposed to saving it and working on it that way. Not sure why it would create these files though.

Do you owa paulk?

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Another update,

Can confirm i have forced the creation of a folder by opening a word document through outlook web access.

When viewing an email in outlook web access, i then open a word attatchment. This doesnt cause the creation of a folder, however closing internet explorer while the document is open in an explorer window does cause the creation of the folder in the users documents area.

Thank Post
    The folder names you showed look remarkably like the same names given by IE to folders it creates for temporary internet files. Check your profile settings & policies. If your users can't write to the location specified the system may be creating these in your temp folder instead.

Thank Post
    Might also save to temp if user can't write to "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Word", which is default Word Autosave folder.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12