+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Routing emails in W2K in Technical; We've just rejigged our CMIS box so that the admin staff access CMIS via a private network. Our CMIS server ...

Thank Post

Routing emails in W2K

We've just rejigged our CMIS box so that the admin staff access CMIS via a private network. Our CMIS server has two network cards, one set to 10.121.x.x and the other set to 192.168.y.y. The 192.168 card is connected to all of the admin XP boxes, so that they can access CMIS, and the 10.121 is connected to the rest of the network. I've configured routing on the CMIS box to allow the XP clients to access the internet. (For those of you who have the MCSE W2K 2153C book, this is descibed in module 11.) It all works up to a point, in that the XP clients can access the internet but their emails are not being routed through. All of the XP clients have Outlook Express and when they were connected directly to the 10 network, they could collect their emails. Now that they are on the private 192 network, all they see is the error message "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.bgfl.org', Server 'smtp.bgfl.org', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: Ox800CCCOE".

So the question in a nutshell is how can I get the W2K server to route emails?

What I have found is that on the CMIS box I can ping anything on the 10 network, except the internet gateway. If I am on any other box on the 10 network I can ping the CMIS box and the internet gateway. Before I setup routing on the W2K box, I could ping the internet gateway. So why can't the W2K box see the gateway? IPSEC and TCP/IP filtering is disabled on the W2K box. I guessing that I need to change something in mmc (routing and remote access) but what I need to change I do not know. What really puzzles me is that the XP clients can access the internet fine.

Help!

TIA

Thank Post

Re: Routing emails in W2K

Does your mail server suppoirt secure login? If not, uncheck the box in Outlook - it sounds like it is ticked.

Also try telnetting to the POP and SMTP ports to check that they are open.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    No can do! We can't see the router so we aren't goint to be able to telnet to the POP/SMTP server. To reiterate, we cannot ping the internet gateway and yet the users can access the internet just fine.

Thank Post

If you can't telnet to the ports you won't be able to connect to them with your mail client!

Ping uses ICMP - that port (cannot remember the number off the top of my head) tends to be blocked to prevent DoS and and viruses such as Slammer.

type in 'telnet <IP address> <port number>' and you can do clever things

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by openhgs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    No can do! We can't see the router so we aren't goint to be able to telnet to the POP/SMTP server. To reiterate, we cannot ping the internet gateway and yet the users can access the internet just fine.
    Are you using an on-site proxy (ISA, Squid etc)? That would be the onlyway clients can access the web without being able to themselves access the main internet facing router.

Thank Post

Hello openhgs

I'm guessing that your 10.121.x.x network is connected ultimately to the internet, in which case set the gateway of that NIC to the i/p address of the i/net router (obviously). Your 192.168.x.x network probably (and logically) has the gateway set to the 10.121.x.x address of the W2K box. It won't like that, so set no gateway.

Next run mmc rrasmgmt.msc For the 192.168 card (XP clients) IP Routing > IGMP (general tab) enable IGMP & enable IGMP router (protocol vers 2). For the 10.121 card (rest of world) IP Routing > IGMP (general tab) enable IGMP & enable IGMP proxy.

That should be all that is required. If it still doesn't work, add a static route to the i/net gateway using the route command at DOS (almost the same format as the Unix command)

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----
    Version: 3.12
    GIT$ d- s:- a+ C UL(A)++++$ P-(+) L+++ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w-
    !O M- V- PS+ PE- Y-- PGP-- t+@ 5-- X R- tv(+) b+ DI-- D---
    G- e++ h r-- y--
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread