+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Managing local and network application shortcuts in Technical; I'd like to change the way we deliver network applications to the desktop. Currently we use GPOs to redirect the ...

Thank Post

Managing local and network application shortcuts

I'd like to change the way we deliver network applications to the desktop. Currently we use GPOs to redirect the start emnu to a folder on the server where all the shortcuts are saved.

This has two disadvantages:
    1) When laptops are off the network they don't always get menus (yes folder synchronisation should work but it doesn't always)
    2) Local applications icons are installed on the centralised menu meaning every PC gets the icons even if the software isn't installed there.
    3) Centralised network installed applications appear on the menu even when not available when the laptop is off network.

I'd liek to be able to separate the icons so that locally installed apps appear on the start menu and network apps are delivered in some other way.

I thought that a folder on the desktop with subfolders for departments with shortcut icons in might be one way but a webpage seemed to offer the option of putting a description next to each application. However the basic html I threw together to test this resulted in a lot of "untrusted source" style errors rather than just launching the application. How can I force my workstations to trust my application server?

Or is there a better way I've not yet mentioned....?

Chris J

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    User Config > Admin Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar

Remove common program groups from Start Menu - Enabled

The above policy should be enabled (recommended) when using redirected Start Menus and Desktops. What it does, is it disables icons from appearing from the local: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users directory.

Now in theory, you could disable the policy and customise the local C:\Documents and Settings\All Users directory to include shortcuts only for applications installed locally and then on the server, only include shortcuts to network type applications. When logging on locally, users get only local applications. When logging onto the domain, both the local All Users and the network Redirected Start Menu/Desktop are merged which I think is what you're after.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    User Config > Admin Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar

Remove common program groups from Start Menu - Enabled

The above policy should be enabled (recommended) when using redirected Start Menus and Desktops. What it does, is it disables icons from appearing from the local: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users directory.

Now in theory, you could disable the policy and customise the local C:\Documents and Settings\All Users directory to include shortcuts only for applications installed locally and then on the server, only include shortcuts to network type applications. When logging on locally, users get only local applications. When logging onto the domain, both the local All Users and the network Redirected Start Menu/Desktop are merged which I think is what you're after.
    What i would do is disable the above group policy and do away with redirected.

For network shortcuts we have them all locally. we deploy them using a start up script.

Z

Thank Post
    We use middleware from CSE, which does exactly what you want but has disadvantages too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When logging on locally, users get only local applications. When logging onto the domain, both the local All Users and the network Redirected Start Menu/Desktop are merged which I think is what you're after.
    But our laptop users log on using cached domain accounts when disconnected ...

(although this should be the subject of another thread as it means we can't use mandatory profiles as under XP the profile is removed at logout if its mandatory)

... so surely they would still see both sets of icons?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread