+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, GPO on newly added computers in Technical; Hi, I manage a 2003 server with several xp clients in an infants school. The exisiting system was fine, and ...
    Thank Post

GPO on newly added computers

Hi, I manage a 2003 server with several xp clients in an infants school. The exisiting system was fine, and I had a 'students' GPO which included folder redirection to set the desktop icons and startmenu, as well as my documents. It all works fine on the existing network, no problems.

However! We recently had a company install some new PCs (all XP Pro too). They work well, and are nice and fast. They are added to the network (belong to the doman), and show up in active directory. The new pcs belong in the same security group as the old class pcs.

The problem is that the folder redirection is not being applied. I have run gpresult on the new pcs, and it says the studentpolicy is being applied, but clearly not. Folder redirection is not there (the start menu, my docs, desktop, classic look of the start menu etc are all like a default profile, not like my student policy dictates). Looking at the 'properties' of 'My Computer' on the new pcs tells me that the profile is mandatory.

BTW, this is all logged in as a student, not administrator. WHen logging in as as student for the first time (eg user 'class1'), it tells me that the roaming profile can not be found (access is denied), although the users haven't changed in active directory, and it all works on the old pcs.

Any ideas of what I need to do to the new pcs to make them work like the old pcs? It's driving me nuts.

Mnay thanks in advance for reading this far!

Thank Post

problem

Have you tried running the gpupdate /force from command prompt on the workstations. I have a similar problem on some machines we use a mandatory profile and it was not being applied until i did the gpupdate unfortunately for me the users that where affected had to be deleted and setup as new users for it to work correctly never got to the bottom of it.

I also have redirected my docs which are empty but the home folder is there containing all the correct files and folders.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. Yep, i've tried gpupdate and force option, no luck. I've also used delprof to delete the class1 profile and then login again, but same issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Are your old machines running XP SP2 and your new machines XP SP3? It sounds very similar to what other users have reported recently.

Thank Post
    I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I know the older machines are SP2, could well be that the news machines are sp3, but will check. Do you think this could affect the ways gpos are handled?

I'll do a search...

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Intersting, lots of talk on the net about SP3 breaking folder redirection for some users. (I'm hoping the new pcs do have sp3...)

A few hints that I will try from Folder Redirection Broken in SP3? - MSFN Forums (I'll post back to see how it goes):

I was able to find a temporary workaround for it though. If you replace the current %system32%\fdeploy.dll (version 5.1.2600.5512) in SP3 with the one included in SP2 (version 5.1.2600.2180), folder redirection in SP3 will work if you are having problems with it.

or:

Fix number 2: Make sure the users' profiles' folder structure has a "Desktop", "My Documents", and any other folder that you use redirection with. The fdeploy.dll that comes with SP3 handles folder redirection differently and will error out if the profile does not have those folders.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    They are added to the network (belong to the doman), and show up in active directory. The new pcs belong in the same security group as the old class pcs.
    You say they are in the same security group but are they also in the same OU as the working computers?

Thank Post
    Yep, I believe so. Though again I will check that- I don't have remote access unfortunately. Thanks for the comment though.

Thank Post
    Well, not solved yet, but I can give an update!

I tried overwriting the fdeploy.dll with an xp pro sp2 version, but didn't seem to make any difference. I checked it was the correct old version (had some issues with it not overwriting) and it was. Rebooted several times etc, no avail.

I also checked that the default profile for the network had the my docs folder, desktop and startmenu as suggested (and even put files in them to make sure), but no difference either. However, the system is clearly picking up the profile from the network, as the files I created on the network were there when logged in as class1.

Before doing these operations, i used bombprof under administrator to delete the cached 'class1' profile. I also disabled 'use local profile' in the students gpo.

I am unable to uninstall sp3 (to go back to sp2) as the people who created the image went straight to sp3 (slipstreamed perhaps) so there is no uninstall or rollback point to sp3.

I did a gpresult on the computer, when logged in as class1, and uploaded the result to: http://learn.marnel-jun.hants.sch.uk/RSOPresults.doc Please take a look! I did it twice, once with normal output, the other with verbose output. The verbose output shows the folder redirection is not enabled (however it must be as it works on the other pcs that aren't new). The new computers are called FOXCONN08 or similarly numbered, all imaged by schoolcare.

Any hints or suggestions would be much appreciated. It is really starting to drive me insane.

Many thanks!

Thank Post

Uninstall SP3 when it has been slipstreamed?

Still no joy. Have made sure about the security groups and OUs being correct. AD settings seem the same for the old and new pcs- can't see any difference. Does make me think SP3 may have something to do with it.

Anyway to uninstall Sp3 when it seems to have been splistreamed into XP Pro (and hence not installed as an update?).

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    To answer your question, if XP SP3 has been slipstreamed, the only way to get back to SP2 is to format and start again.

Before you format, logon as an administrator on an SP3 workstation and click Start > Run > MMC

File > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add

Local Users and Groups > Add > Finish > Close > OK

Expand Local Users and Groups, then on the right double click 'Groups' then 'Administrators'

Add 'Domain Users', then close MMC. When you're asked to save just say no. Now logoff, and logon as a pupil.

Does this make any difference?

12. Thanks to Michael from:

rocknrollstar (1st October 2008)

Thank Post
    Michael::

You're a star-I did what you suggested, and it has solved the redirection issue as well as some other related issues. Such a simple fix

Anyway to deploy these changes via GPO? Or does it have to be done manually as it is a local computer setting?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Make sure all the XP SP3 machines are switched on.

Then from the same XP SP3 workstation, follow these instructions:

Start > Run > MMC

File > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add

Local Users and Groups > Add

From here, choose "Another computer". Type a machine name or click Browse, then use the same procedure as before; apart from you're adding Domain Users to another XP SP3 machine.

Saves you running around logging on each computer in turn...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread