+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, No internet!! in Technical; Hi all, Over the summer we had all staff laptops in for imaging. We installed a fresh copy of XP ...
    Thank Post

No internet!!

Hi all,

Over the summer we had all staff laptops in for imaging. We installed a fresh copy of XP and all drivers.

Whilst the laptops are inside the network they are all fine internet works ok and all resources and programs.

When some teachers take them home they are unable to get the internet working on their own isp?

All the laptops are running XP, all ip's are DHCP, the proxy server is unticked in IE, domain policy - firewall off.

I have looked over the pc and i can't seem to find a problem however im sure if this has anything to do with it but in the services there is a server called webclient and on most of the laptops its showing as "Stopping".

if i logon to the account that they use when they go home and put in our proxy server then the internet works fine...

I then said to one member of staff that was having an issue to bring in their wireless router and i will make sure her connection between the router was ok.. which it was..

what else could be wrong?

Ohh i should add the difference between them before the summer and now is IE7 and SP3

Thank Post
    precisely why we gave laptops users admin rights to the local machine - let them sort it out themselves....

Thank Post

You will find that the school proxy setting is not allowing them to connect to their isp, Free softeware called proxypal disables that without the teacher having to go in to tool - internet options etc etc.

That should fix the prob

Thank Post
    We only use a proxy server inside of the network... the local profile doesn't contain a proxy server

Thank Post
    How do they get this local profile, do they have a duplicate user account ? If so, they're probably not logging off their domain user account.

If they hibernate or standby the machine, it will not necessarily realise that there has been a change in network.

One of our techs wrote a little VB program to swap between proxy and no-proxy, it prbably works ther same as proxypal.. I might have a look at this though, 'cause we need something for Vista machines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yh that might be whats happening.. there prob staying logged onto there Network Account so to speak.

What we do is just make them a local account on the machine same username as in school on the network.. and give them local admin rights.. and then we tell them they must log on to - Staff-1 (this Computer) - for example to be able to use the laptop at home and then change it to (ourschool) when they are at school.

I do have a Proxy Off/On Script which i put together a while back.. if u need it

But if you make them a local account and make them admin's there should be no problems.

James.

Thank Post
    No, thats not the prob... i went around a member of staffs hous on the wy home because i couldn't believe that there could possibly something wrong with the laptop.

I connected to their wireless with my laptop and they internet works fine...

I then tried to ping the gateway... fine!! i did a nslookup and there i think i found the problem... the nslookup dns server is the servers from work? so its caching the settings...

i tried ipconfig /flushdns and registerdns but still no joy....

How can i flush these settings?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh right strange that.. especially if u have flushed the DNS.

If for example you go to (Wireless Area Connection > properties > TCP/IP >) is there a manually configured DNS Address.

I know its un-likley but u never know.

James.

Thank Post
    i've actually brought the laptop home so i crack this problem... i already checked for manually configured DNS settings and they are all DCHP assigned... but allso it wont work if i do manually assign one.

If i do ipconfig /all it shows the right ip address and dns settings etc...

there must be a Reg key that has cached these settings.... but i cant find them..

Thank Post
    You can specify DNS servers in group policy, although it's usually not a good idea to use it unless you have lots of change control procedures in place.

You could have a search through the registry to see if there's a match for the wrong dns servers IP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You can specify DNS servers in group policy, although it's usually not a good idea to use it unless you have lots of change control procedures in place.

You could have a search through the registry to see if there's a match for the wrong dns servers IP.
    Thanks DMcCoy,

I searched the Registry for our dns servers and found a key for Nameserver.. deleted it and restarted.. and now all is fine..

But how do i stop this from happening..??

Thank Post
    Where was the key? Under Policies? If it was then it's come from group policy and you would need to remove it from the relevant section on which ever policy it's configured in.

13. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Sunderwood (27th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Yes it was under policies and i know when i applied it...

Cheers

Thank Post
    I have the exact same problem here, the only way I can fix it is to take the laptop off the domain and it works at home. This is obviously not ideal so if anyone has an easier solution (or which policy is being applied) then I would much appreciate the help.

Cheers

T Man

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread