+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, What's a reasonable Login Time? in Technical; About 3 mins on average with the older kit, less than a minute with newer kit / newly imaged kit. ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About 3 mins on average with the older kit, less than a minute with newer kit / newly imaged kit. We can always tell the kids with the large profiles....serves 'em right!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    About 2 seconds....on our thin clients...

Fat PC's are around the 2-5minute range depending on their antiquity.
    We have a winner!

Thank Post
    Timed on our teaching network as 1min45 from cold to desktop (autologon with mandatory profiles). Would be quicker if it's wasn't for the stupid "Applying Computer Settings" box plus HDD rattle that goes on for about 20 seconds before the user logon occurs

Thank Post
    We make them boot in 2minutes, and then logon takes no more than 2 minutes, to a usable desktop.

Install software locally, local user profiles, defrag, chkdsk,

But I found the best thing, is to make sure the machine "appears" to be doing something, as looking at the windows "blue screen" (IE desktop), makes people think it's crashed. We use Sanako Lab / Study, and by default it changes the default MSGINA to its own one, that doesn't show all the "applying user settings", so I change it back, anything that pops up windows (EG mcafee "proven security" splash) distracts people away from realising they're not able to DO anything yet.

I have noticed that on some mis-configured machines (imaged by another person), it goes through a configuring outlook, ie7, which seems to slow stuff down too.

Thank Post
    Thanks to a post on this forum i have used a peice of software to diagnose some problems with our policies. Our logon times are now down to less than 2 seconds, and then depending on machine anywhere from another 3-4secs to 30secs for all the processes to fully load.

THis is the software. SysPro Software -> Policy Reporter
    Install and log on and then off again with the effected User account. Log on as an admin, open the program and goto the User tab, then look at the time elapsed. Look for any periods where it is loading one policy for a long period and go from there.

Our problem was with folder redirection. Even though it pointed to a valid destination (both mapped drive and UNC path) it was hanging, not sure why.
    Another common problem it would seem is IE7 loading something, cant remember what as it wasnt our problem but it seemed to come up alot when i was Googleing.

A few other things ive learned when fixing our professionally installed network are all your GPOs are files and as such are subject to the same bottleneck problems in your I/O chain, specifically your hard drives. GPOs contain LOTS of small files, and LOTs of small files = slow HD reads. Also your NTUSER.file is relatively big when you are talking about several hundred users all wanting to access the file at once. Placeing these files on a server with quick HD reads is very important (not so much the GPOs as we manage to get away with standard desktop HDs, but we do have 2 DCs doing nothing else but AD, DNS, DHCP).
    Also worth looking through your scripts. Are there any files coming from inappropriate servers? What about needless copying? THeres no need to copy a file each time a user logs on, why not use Robocopy so that the file is checked first and only copied if the source has changed or the destination doesnt exist.

(Sorry if the above is pretty obvious, but it apparently wasnt obvious to everyone who set up and maintained my network before me as everything which wasnt a users file or an application was placed on a DC with a 5400rpm old IDE HD in a DC with a wopping 1.4 celeron in it )
    Last edited by j17sparky; 24th September 2008 at 10:13 PM.

6. 3 Thanks to j17sparky:

jcollings (24th September 2008), Teth (26th September 2008), User3204 (24th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    We make them boot in 2minutes, and then logon takes no more than 2 minutes, to a usable desktop.

Install software locally, local user profiles, defrag, chkdsk,

But I found the best thing, is to make sure the machine "appears" to be doing something, as looking at the windows "blue screen" (IE desktop), makes people think it's crashed. We use Sanako Lab / Study, and by default it changes the default MSGINA to its own one, that doesn't show all the "applying user settings", so I change it back, anything that pops up windows (EG mcafee "proven security" splash) distracts people away from realising they're not able to DO anything yet.

I have noticed that on some mis-configured machines (imaged by another person), it goes through a configuring outlook, ie7, which seems to slow stuff down too.
    Sorting your default profile should clear that

z

Thank Post
    Our thin clients take about 10 seconds to get a working desktop.

The xp machines around 30 to 40 seconds if its the first time that student has logged onto that machine otherwise its quicker. Most of our fat clients are old 2.2 celeron with 1gb ram.

Some staff have much longer login times but thats their choice if they want a few gbs of mp3s on their desktop

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    50 seconds from cold boot to login screen. 10 seconds from login to opening Word.

Thank Post
    Our new dual core 2.4ghz pcs with 2 gigs of ram and gigabit nics with a gigabit connection direct to the server with very little traffic & 2 x dual core domain controllers and only one client seem to login pretty quick
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 25th September 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Our machines from last year boot in 30 seconds from cold - Which I wasn't even able to beat with the new machines from this year with an extra GB of RAM (Processors are similar C2D E2180)

I suppose even if you get better and better hardware, XP will eventually come to a point where it can't take advantage of it all. My system at home boots Vista much quicker than XP.

Log on times vary throughout the day, one minute it is instant and the next it takes up to 3 minutes! But I'm not the network man here

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Since we went to mandatory profiles that are about 1mb big the times from login screen to usable is around 25 seconds.

Its made such a big difference compared to the old 10-15mb roaming profiles.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12