+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, The L Word in Technical; Okay, I'm gonna bring up the subject of the dreaded L word. Mainly because I've been searching both the interweb ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The L Word

Okay,

I'm gonna bring up the subject of the dreaded L word. Mainly because I've been searching both the interweb in general and this forum but have not found the answer...

Licensing ( There I said it)

What I want to know is this. I have a select license key and a select license cd containing Windows XP SP2.

I buy 30 new machines to kit a new room (not replacements). The 30 pc's each come with an OEM copy of XP SP2 pre-installed.

Can I create a Ghost image based on the Select License XP CD for these new machines and roll this image out, or do I need to buy 30 new licenses to install the Select License XP on these new machines?

Basically does the OEM license allow the use of Select License version in its place or does M$ bill you twice in order to use the Select License?

Thank Post
    Good question, and one that I have wondered about.

If you look on the CD, I think it says that this software is unlicensed and you can't use it unless you have a select key, or original OEM license (paraphrased as I dont have the CD to hand). This implies that you can.

I'm not entirely sure, and was doing exactly what you suggested before we got Schools Agreement.

So my answer would have to be I think so, but don't take my word for it, I wouldn't be supprised if MS had something up their sleeves to scam you if you did!

I would be good if someone find a definitive answer for this.

Thank Post
    Reintalling windows licence key questions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457078.aspx

Note: Instead of implementing any of the solutions outlined below, Volume License customers can use Volume License media to install the same operating system that was licensed from an OEM without acquiring a volume license for a PC being re-imaged. More information about this option is available here under “Re-Imaging Rights”: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r.../volbrief.mspx. Because Volume License agreements do not provide a full operating system license, Windows licenses should be acquired as part of the PC purchase from the PC manufacturer.
    Last edited by somabc; 22nd September 2008 at 04:35 PM.

4. 2 Thanks to somabc:

dyoung5 (22nd September 2008), tmcd35 (22nd September 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Somabc +1 rep for proving that I can't search for toffee! Thanks was looking for that thread for about half hour or so with no luck - then again I was looking for licensing not licence!

So, the answer appears to be, so long as the OEM sticker and key is on the side of the box, the volume license version can be installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread