+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Release prints but not print... in Technical; Hi all, Has anybody managed the following? I want to set a printer up so that teachers cannot print, but ...
    Thank Post

Release prints but not print...

Hi all,

Has anybody managed the following?

I want to set a printer up so that teachers cannot print, but can release pupils work.
    So for example, via the internet printing page a teacher can see the printer and release kid's work, but cannot connect to that printer and print themselves.

I've tried everything with the printer permissions, but the only way I can get the printer to appear in the list of printers is to give teachers 'PRINT' permissions. If you don't have this ticked you can't see it.

This seems to contradict windows help, which says this should be possible by just giving teachers 'MANAGE DOCUMENTS' permission, but if you do this it doesn't appear in the list and teachers can't connect to the printer to release documents.

I use Print Manage Plus by the way, which is what is pausing the kid's work. This is why I need teachers to be able to release work, but not use them themselves.

Help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    What about allocating Manage Documents and Manage Printers to teachers? I can't see why the printer isn't appearing with just Manage Documents enabled.

And as for PMP, I use this too and it doesn't pause jobs. Have you tried stopping and restarting the spooler service?

Thank Post
    I want PMP to pause work, so this is ok. We have a policy that all colour printing is paused and then released by a teacher. The problem is I can't stop the teacher printing, I only want them to release.

The MANAGE DOCUMENTS and MANAGE PRINTERS permissions don't seems to work as they should, for example you can't just habe MANAGE PRINTERS on its own, if you tick that then PRINT automatically is ticked.

It's a right pain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amvc View Post
    I want PMP to pause work, so this is ok. We have a policy that all colour printing is paused and then released by a teacher. The problem is I can't stop the teacher printing, I only want them to release.

The MANAGE DOCUMENTS and MANAGE PRINTERS permissions don't seems to work as they should, for example you can't just habe MANAGE PRINTERS on its own, if you tick that then PRINT automatically is ticked.

It's a right pain.
    Well it makes sense if you actually stop to think about it.

Why on earth would you trust someone to manage a printer and then not allow them to print to it..

It's a bit like saying you want to give a key to a gatekeeper but he must never enter the door..

You give him the tools to do it, and then say "no!"... Not exactly common sense is it...

Thank Post
    I know it's a odd request, but the permissions in windows indicate that this seems possible, but don't seem to work as intended. I can't find a use for the MANAGE DOCUMENTS permission, as if you use it without PRINT permission then access is denied anyway. What's the use?

As for the gatekeeper analogy, I don't mind teachers having a key, they just keep leaving the door open.

And it's cold in here.

Thank Post
    I believe Manage Documents allows you to delete jobs and also change job priorities.

As you say, ticking Manage Documents also enables Print so without something third party this isn't possible. Contink has made a valid point too. Logically to be able to manage something, you must be able to see it and access it too.

Thank Post
    I agree. That's what I thought the MANAGE PRINTERS permission does.

Can't see the point in the MANAGE DOCUMENTS permission if it denies access unless used with PRINT. How can you ever use it on its own?

I suppose I'll have to accept defeat.

Thank Post
    Well for example, myself as administrator I have access to Print, Manage Documents and Manage Printers. Pupils I give just Print. I don't want them messing with jobs or printer settings

Thank Post
    Well it seems, for Windows NT anyway, that Microsoft have made an error in their documentation:

DOCERR: Manage Documents Security Permission and Printer Actions

Ok, i'll admit it can't be done.

<bugger>

Thank Post
    A quick update;

In the end i've bought Print Manager Plus Release Station 2008. It does exactly what I require.

Thank Post
    How much is this Software all together?

The reason i ask is that we just recently purchased Papercut NG and its management features are very good. You have a web-based system that they can access and release jobs that people have printed without the need for printing at all as its done online. You can download a free demo.

Its also cross-platform so works with OSX, XP and Linux. I thought it to be very cheap. You pay for workstations and you get unlimited server licenses as well.

You can also manage local printers with an authentication option popping up when they print to them.

Thank Post
    Print Manager Plus is a rebranded version of Papercut (you will find lots of these)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread