+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Easy Password Reset Software in Technical; Several people expressed an interest in this, so I hope it's OK to release it here. Easy Password Reset is ...

Thank Post

Easy Password Reset Software

Several people expressed an interest in this, so I hope it's OK to release it here.

Easy Password Reset is a small .NET utility written by me that allows anyone to easily reset student passwords (Providing they have the correct permissions in your AD schema of course)

I have tested it on 2 different networks, and it works well on both of them, so hopefully it will also work for others.

What does it do?
    Allows staff to easily reset student passwords with a few clicks of the mouse, no difficult interface or risk of them being able to reset staff users passwords or simelar.

What do I need to run it?
    The program requires .NET 2.0 to run, and correct permissions on AD to allow the person using it to change passwords.

How do I install it
    I've provided just the .EXE file in a ZIP file below. Unzip to a suitable location and run. It will not run from a network drive, but that's a limitation of .NET and not the program. I think there is a hack somewhere to allow .NET programs to run from network shares, but I've never looked that deeply into it.

How does it work?
    The program automatically binds to your AD using LDAP to retrieve a list of users, no settings to program in as it finds them all out at runtime. It filters the users based on the 'standard' prefix of year of entry so it will pick up any users beginning with 08,07,06,05,04,03 and 02 covering all year groups from Year 7 to Year 13. (I will do a primary version if anyone asks as it's pretty easy to modify the code for that.) It doesn't matter what AD containers your users are in, the program searches the whole directory quickly and displays a list for the year group you select from the front screen.

You simply select a user, and click reset password. The password is reset by default to 'password1' but there is a text box where you can choose a different one if you want to. Also by default the option for 'change password at next logon' is set as well. (I will write a feature into the program to select this at runtime if people would like it, but for now it does it to all password resets as that's what we do in our school, and it's good practise anyway.)

Using this utility there's no danger of staff being able to reset passwords they shouldn't unless you have other users with the above prefixes.

What if I use a different username pattern?
    Then this utility isn't for you. I wrote it for my school where we do use that pattern, and most other schools I have come across also do, so it should serve most peoples needs.

What about next year when the year groups move up a year, will I need to update it?
    No you won't as the program calculates the year group prefixes depending on the date. It rolls over on the 1st September automatically.

I hope some of you find it useful, and any questions please feel free to ask. I have been sucessfully using it in my school for a while now, and in a previous school for over a year.

The program is released without any sort of warrenty, if you can't get it to work I can only offer limited support for it as it was a personal project that I thought others may find useful.

Many thanks,

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 17th September 2008 at 07:23 PM.

2. 6 Thanks to maniac:

AWicher (24th September 2009), JJonas (23rd September 2009), john (17th September 2008), mrtechsystems (18th September 2008), plexer (18th September 2008), ron (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Sounds a great tool to me, will give it a whurl

Thank Post
    Is it possible to change the standard prefix?
    Our students dont have the 0. They start with 8 or 7 or 6 etc.

Cheers,
    Will

Thank Post
    This is a great idea however, all our students have firstname.surname and so is not as useful unless of course you can post the source code.

It would be better for me if i could just let it get all the usernames from an OU and its sub containers as i have a student OU.

Let me know if you could release a version like this or let me have a look at the source code.

Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    Yeah, I have all my students in seperate OU's depending on year group so being able to have customizable settings would be massive bonus.

Thank Post
    I'll see what I can do. The idea was to keep the program simple and thus no settings to program in, but I know the script I've used as part of my program has the ability to read groups and OU information as well as usernames so it might be a fairly easy to change to make.

I will add however that this program is a personal project that I've decided to make available to other people who might want to use it, and as such I'm not going to spend a lot of time improving it, as it serves the origenal purpose I designed it for well.

Mike.

Thank Post
    sounds quite interesting - I'll see if that has any use for me

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Kwl.. I currently use Password Control from WiseSoft.. does the job and works accross the network. so if someone would rather it be run over the network take a look at that also.

Cheers Maniac

James.

10. Thanks to EduTech from:

mac_shinobi (10th March 2011)

Thank Post
    It was a long time since last post here but hopefully sombody will have a look

EduTach how did you manage to make Password Control from WiseSoft work across the network? I tried to simply share the apps folder but it fails to start the program (tried different users with different level permissions and it fails every time).

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thank Post
    I've added a few extra bits to my program since I posted the first version.

• There's a facility for setting a runtime password for a bit of extra security
    • There's a way of getting it to display users in a particular OU instead of the default way it is setup
    • You can now choose the default settings yourself, and decide if change password at next login is applied or not.
    • It now reads the SAMAccountName field rather than the cn field when searching for users in active directory.

And some other changes. Please note the custom settings bit doesn't work yet as I've not written the code for it, but it won't be long until it does.

Any feedback welcome, we're using it quite happily in our school at the moment and it's working well.

13. Thanks to maniac from:

TheydonBois (28th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quick question- can you add this to a shared drive and have a shortcut or does it have to be 'locally hosted' on each PC? I can't seem to get it to work on a shared mapped drive.

Good software though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    Quick question- can you add this to a shared drive and have a shortcut or does it have to be 'locally hosted' on each PC? I can't seem to get it to work on a shared mapped drive.

Good software though!
    It's written in VB.NET 2008 and I believe there are issues running .NET programs from shared drives, however it works for me running it from a shared drive, but doesn't on some of our other machines, and I've not worked out why yet!

Mike.

16. Thanks to maniac from:

sippo (24th September 2009)

Thank Post
    We've got mandatory profiles here, if I put it on the desktop locally on a PC it doesn't retain the settings ie, the OU. I can ask the teachers to put it in as they wouldn't have a clue!!

Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    We've got mandatory profiles here, if I put it on the desktop locally on a PC it doesn't retain the settings ie, the OU. I can ask the teachers to put it in as they wouldn't have a clue!!

Any suggestions?
    Ah, that will be because by default if you use the built in part of VB.NET that allows you ro save settings, like I have with this, it saves it in part of the user profile. If you add that file to the mandatory profile it should pick up the settings from there. If it doesn't let me know, and I may change the way it saves settings to a file in the same directory as the executable, it's just a bit more work to program it like that.

It's an XML file, and is located in a directory called

C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\mike_redman

unfortunitely it's used my name for some reason, it must be programmed into VB.NET somewhere. I think I'll try and change that for the next release.

There's also a bug on the save settings where it always expects there to be something in the OU field, if you're not using that setting, just put a . in or something, it will then save settings properly. I'll correct this in the next version as well.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Just been informed by IT staff that the year 7's are not showing up (only taken 4 months), I will assume its todo with the 10 in username. Any plans to fix this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast