AWicher (6th January 2011)
I'm not sure if the version I'm using is the same as the version on this site. I did correct various bugs, but I'd totally forgotten I'd published it here.
I've attached the latest version I have which works for our year7 users, so let me know if it works.
AWicher (6th January 2011)
Thank you! Working with years 7 now!
maniac (6th January 2011)
looks like a great tool
however our students use the year they joined, eg. 98JoSmith for a year 11 student
This scinario is what the 'custom settings' section of the settings box will help resolve, except I've not written the code for that yet. I'm not even sure if I still have the source code for the project actually, as I lost a lot of data on my home PC a while back and I have a nasty feeling this program was one of the things I lost. If I can find the source code however I'll try and write the section to handle the custom settings, then you may be able to use the software.
Any idea why the sixth form button returns all 04 and 05 students in v1, but only 05 students in v2? Thanks
Unfortunitely I've lost the source code for this program since I wrote it, so I can no longer make any changes or improvements to it, so if it doesn't work for you there's little I can do to correct any faults. In a majority of situations the software does work - the only faults I'm aware of are the custom settings part was never written to a working standard and the 'upper sixth' users don't display in the program anywhere. In all other respects the program works.
If anyone has a way of de-compiling a program writtin in VB.NET 2008 please let me know, then I might be able to carry on where I left of with this - the idea of re-writing the entire thing does not appeal.
Last edited by maniac; 10th March 2011 at 02:37 PM.
meastaugh1 (10th March 2011)
I saw your message about the lost code, I didn't realise the missing y13 (upper sixth form) was a known issue, that's fine. Thanks for getting back so quickly.
The reason it doesn't display the upper 6th is because for each button I simply copied and pasted the Year 7 code and changed the values for the search accordingly, forgetting that the 6th form spans 2 intake years. If I still had the code I could correct this very easily.
I've managed to dig up the code for this project from an old backup, so I've made a few updates to the program.
* Fixed the problem with it only displaying Year 12 on the year 12/13 button
* Fixed the problem on the settings screen with the program always expecting something in the 'OU' field even when it wasn't needed
* Sort of fixed the focus on the password box if you choose to password protect the program (It appears at the front, but not as the focus, but it does stop it being hidden behind the program which was happening)
* It no longer creates a txt file when you run the program - this was a legacy left from one of the script examples I used when I first wrote the program
* Settings are no longer available from a button within the program to make it more difficult to alter them. You can change the program settings using the arguement /S when running the program to bring up the settings box - I may change this back, but certainly in my school I've had a few teachers fiddle with the settings when I'd rather they didn't.
I'm afraid if you have changed settings in the old program, this new verion won't remember them as I've managed to change the settings location from using my name to using easy_password_reset as the directory in the user profile. In theory if you copied the settings file to the new directory, it should read it from there, but it might be easier to just program the settings again.
The 'full cutomisation' option is still not available, I'm working on the code for this at the moment. Other features I will write in if people want to request them.
Incidentally, how many people are actually using this program - be interested to know?
Easy Password Reset 2.0.zip
Oh and the version number is 2.2 now, but I forgot to rename the .exe
Last edited by maniac; 11th March 2011 at 12:55 AM.
That's great, thanks Mike.
I have just seen and tried this (v2.2) but can not find the xml file to make the changes on, any advice!!
It has to be a capital S, that's what I programmed it to look for. I should have been more clear on that maybe, but I have typed it with a capital!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)